Today our guest writer is Lisa Taylor Richey.
Do you have a guilty pleasure? Recently, mine has been watching Million Dollar Decorators on Bravo on Tuesday nights . This show is an overload of beautiful things…interiors, artwork, clothing and jewelry. It follows the life and projects of five interior designers in Los Angeles. Their clients are celebrities and with that brings along many challenges. As viewers, we get a look into some of the most stunning and fabulous homes in the California area (and NYC). It is a feast for our senses, but it can also be a style inspiration for our closets.
Especially fascinating are the two female decorators in the show, Mary McDonald and Kathryn Ireland. Both of these women (who happen to be absolutely fabulous after 40) are at the top of their game and boy, oh boy is it fun to watch their power and confidence in their trade. Their style and aesthetic are impeccable.
Here are Five Style Tips From the Women on Million Dollar Decorators:
- Accentuate Your Assets and Personality: Mary McDonald has fabulous arms. Notice how she wears beautiful jewelry and shows off her arms by wearing sleeveless tops. Kathryn Ireland wears deep v-neck tops to show off her cleavage and she has long lean legs. She shows them off by wearing leggings tucked into fabulous boots. Both women have beautiful hair and wear it long and flowing down their shoulders. Their hair is in very good shape and is always coiffed and groomed, making them fabulous after 40.
- Spend Money on Statement Pieces: Wow, if nothing else, check out the statement jewelry Mary McDonald wears on the show. She adorns herself with outstanding pieces…..artwork for her neckline and fingers. Her ring collection is like none other. The next time you are in the market for a new piece of jewelry why not purchase an item that beats to a different drum. Put aside the simple silver or gold necklace and go for the drama.
- Dress the part: These women deal with fabulous and stylish clients, and they do not hold back with their own style.
- Buy Quality When You Can: This goes without saying. When you can, purchase quality shoes, handbags and coats.
- Confidence: Confidence is everyone’s best asset in business and in our personal life. Feeling great translates to looking great.
Lisa Taylor Richey is a business etiquette trainer and speaker. She is the founder of The American Academy of Etiquette.