If you are an apple you gain your weight in tummy. You might have always been this shape or you grew into it once menopause hit. You have:
- an average to large bust
- broader upper arms (and/or shoulders)
- a full, rounded stomach with no defined waist
- slimmer hips
- a behind that is rather flat
- nice legs
Your dressing goal is to hide your round tummy & show off your nice legs. Here’s what to wear:
- Get a good bra to lift your bust up and off your tummy. Apples need separation between their bust and tummy.
- Your breasts should sit halfway between your shoulders and elbows so make sure you have them hiked up. Nothing makes you look more frumpy and old than sagging breasts.
- Tummy shapewear also helps a lot to minimize the apple tummy.
- The best necklines: V-necks that shows some skin or tops with cutouts or embellishment at the neckline. They will take the attention off the tummy and put the focus on your face.
- Empire waist tops or tops that are knotted at the bust also work. They highlight your slimmest point which is just under the bust.
- Tops with flared sleeves or detail on the sleeves will also draw the attention away from the belly.
- Tops should cover your entire tummy and end below the hipbone.
Please stay away from baggy tops! As we age and gain weight in the tummy, there is a tendency to want to wear something big and lose to cover up. A baggy top will only make you look bigger! Your top should be slightly fitted and flow gently over your tummy. It should not cling.
- Choose pants with stretch for your tummy
- Boot cut or trouser leg are best to balance you out up top. Tapered jeans can make you look top-heavy.
- Look for pants that with a smooth front – pull on or with zippers at the sides.
- Stay away from pants with too much detail at the waist, such as pleated pants.
- Avoid pants with pockets. They will make your behind look larger and fuller.
- A structured jacket over a loose, flowing dress or a long skirt is great. Be sure the jacket ends at your hips. If it ends at the tummy, all eyes will be there.
- Avoid double-breasted jackets as they will make you look overly busty and wide.
- A duster coat or vest that ends just above the knee is slimming.
- Skirts will show off your nice legs, but keep them no shorter than above the knee, or you’ll look too top-heavy.
- A flirty or flared skirt will balance you out. A-lines are great for an apple shape.
- Dresses should have elevated waistlines that are just below the bust.
- An empire waist dress can work well as there is not a lot of gathering at the banding.
- A wrap dress is perfect because the v-neck emphasizes the bust. just be sure the tie wrap on the dress sits just under the bust and not around the tummy.
- A shift or tunic dress that falls straight down, but is not baggy, is good.
- Another good style is the drop waist that narrows at your hips leaving nothing tight around your tummy.
- Patterns helps to camouflage an apple tummy.
- Dark colors such as navy, black, brown shrink large areas like the tummy.
What Not to Wear
- Baggy shapeless clothes
- High necklines
- Clingy, tight clothes
- Detailed skirts and pants with pleats, or zippers, buttons or ties at the tummy
- Bulky coats and heavy sweaters
Are you starting to get a better understanding of how to dress if you are an Apple shape? Want to find out more about the styles of clothing will work best for your body type?
Then check out My Private Stylist. It’s our cool new computerized fashion tool that pinpoints your unique body shape and reveals the styles you need to wear to flatter your figure and make you look fabulous! Find out more.