By Sherrie Mathieson
Perhaps I haven’t counted 50 shades,–but close…and they are basic to my wardrobe. Of course my clients have been initiated as well—early on. I have never been a fan of all-too ubiquitous black — the “go-to” easy escape route for easy mixing or looking sophisticated/artsy/dignified/and citified.
It can also appear harsh as skin ages (especially on pale complexions). The eye does not detect quality or detail in a black outfit—but it’s much more obvious in the softer cousin—gray.
But even in summer there is a true freshness to a gray and white outfit. I love a white polo shirt paired with white jeans— a gray cardigan thrown over the shoulders. Silver or tan driving moccasins, and a masculine silver watch complete the look.
Here are some tips for my favorite color–gray:
1. Gray will highlight lovely white or gray hair to its advantage.
Know that gray can be more blue-ish or yellow-ish (sometimes known as “Elephant “gray). One may flatter your complexion more than the other.
2. Mixing interesting textures can further this palette to pure artistry.
Imagine a furry texture over or /mixed with a cashmere, over silky charmeuse. Or how about a gray cashmere sweater with a spray of sewn on gray sequins for the kind of glow large pearls give a face?
3. The combo of gray and brown, or gray and navy is rich looking and very sophisticated
Again, think of interesting textures and layers. Add a dark brown leather belt, shoes and bag for grays browns, camels, olives and taupe combos. Add black accessories to navy and gray combos.
4. Need a flash of bright color? Think charcoal and Orange
My Nike sneakers combine the two well.
5. Gray is a great choice for a winter puffer jacket or coat It goes with everything!
6. Wear silver jewelry with grays or perhaps tortoise jewelry to accentuate a brown bag and shoes as accessories.
7. Black patent works better with a gray outfit than black leather(a bit dull).
8. Think in terms of gray t- shirts and polo shirts with gray workout pants. It looks better after many washings than white or black.
9- Gray lace and gray silk shantung are two sophisticated examples of lux fabrics that work well for dressy events.
10. Consider a gray 3 ply cashmere shawl to go with practically everything.