I know why for years I (JoJami) never felt satisfied with my wardrobe. When I stopped to think about how I went about shopping here’s what I found. I had the consistently self-sabotaging habit of:
- buying too many blah items (on Sale, of course!)
- just going out shopping for fun (no plan or forethought)
- often coming home with things that were black, grey or a combination of both
- was not confident on what colors looked good on me
So how do you change this pattern? What can you do to start upping your style, especially now that you are 40 or older?
Here are a few fashion tips on what super stylish women do to always dress chic!
- Have a style role model. This can be tough when you are over 40 because there are not that many out there. If you can find someone that has a similar body type, great!
- Keep a Style notebook in your purse. This is the fastest way to get inspired. Start noticing women on the street that catch your eye. What is it about an outfit that makes this woman stand out? Is it the style or color of her coat? Is her hairstyle one that would look good on you? Jot down any and all things that get your heart beating! Window shop, look at mannequins, even nature (flowers have the most unusual color combinations!)
- Dress up a little nicer today. Instead of throwing on your casual “uniform”, take some time to put on something that you might not have worn in a while. Dig around in your closet and drawers. What’s in there that might be fun to wear that maybe you were saving? Get it out and wear it! Now see if you don’t get compliments and feel like you have a little more energy!
- Start with a great pair of shoes. This backwards way of choosing what you’re going to wear can sometimes stimulate a new, creative idea for an outfit. Do you have a sassy pair of shoes that have been collecting dust? Get them out and put them on! Do you have something to wear with them? If not, take them out to the store and let them be your inspiration!
- Don’t shop with a friend. Many times we shop with a friend and they end up talking us into buying things we wish we hadn’t. First try these tips on your own and see if you can stay focused and buy something that you really love and adore.
- Wear something nice while shopping. Stylish women are always setting the bar. You need to be wearing something that you feel good in. Never, ever go shopping when you feel like a frump. We promise you will not come home with a wonderful outfit. Setting the bar is important and will help you make a good choice. If you like what you are going to buy as much or better than what you are wearing then you will be making the right purchasing decision.
- Educate yourself. The fact that you are reading this blog is the first step in finding your “Wow” style. Keep on reading and your eyes are going to be opened to a wonderful new world of creativity and excitement.