WARNING: SALES are Everywhere this Thanksgiving!
You’re going to be tempted to snatch up anything with a bright red sale tag. But before you pull out your wallet ask yourself , Would I buy these if they were not on sale?
Example: I bought these elegant suede, tiny kitten heel slip on from Target about 5 years ago. They’re Issac Mizrahi and cost
$4.99. At that price I had to have them and bragged to my friends for months what a deal they were. O.k., so they were kind of pointy, very low and flopped around on my feet a bit, but they were darling and what a crazy steal!
Even though I convinced myself I needed them, (or at least would wear them around the house as hostess slippers when guests came to dinner), I NEVER WORE THEM, not even once.
Finally, after holding on to them for way too long, I’m giving them up to a friend who is having a clothing trading party. Hopefully, someone will snatch them up and actually wear them instead of hiding them away in their closet like a dusty trophy.
Even thought these shoes only cost me only $4.99, they were a waste of my fashion dollars. I also spent way too many years feeling guilty about not wearing them.
We’ve all done the same thing at one time or another…right? So here are a few tips to help keep your head on straight and your wallet shut when you shop on sale.
- Don’t Buy Another Purse: We all have too many of them, anyway…so this is not the time to go for one more! Save your money for one that you really want and love!
- Pretty Party Dresses. These can be really tempting… however, if you don’t have a party coming up, say “PASS!” and move on. Come on, you know deep down that it will just sit in the back of the closet!
- One More T-Shirt. Ladies…PLEASE….if we see one more drawer with t-shirts spilling out of them, (does this sound familiar?) Listen up…You don’t need one more t-shirt. Just say, “NO!”
- “Oh…its Sooo Last Season”. That saying is really a good one! And we agree with it! So, don’t be tempted to buy last season’s suit, pants, jeans, etc… Styles change. Save your money. You’ll be so glad you did!
- Avoid weird colors- ever notice how all the weird-looking colored clothes are on sale. There’s a reason nobody likes or wants them.
- Plan your sale shopping! O.K. I don’t want to sound like an old grump. You can buy on sale. You just have to be careful. For example, my friend just noticed that her favorite pair of flat black boots really need replacing. So, she is going to go out and look for a pair on sale to replace these. If you go with a list of what you really need, you are more likely to buy something on sale that you will really wear.
If you want some help planning out what to buy this Thanksgiving so you don’t waste your money pick up a copy of my popular e-book: Chic on the Cheap: How to Build a Wardrobe on a Budget.