Summer is almost here and I need a hat I can throw on when I go out in the sun, or for when I’m having a bad hair day. Do you have any suggestions for an alternative to a baseball cap?
Thanks! Sandy G. Austin, TX.
What a great question, something we all struggle with, especially with summer humidity! I love the little straw fedora when you are dressing casually.
How do you style it so you look cool not kooky? Fabulous After 40 Stylist Morgan Mullin has a few ideas for how to wear a fedora and other popular summer hats.
Possibly the most popular hat on the market right now, fedoras ooze effortless chic. Popular over-40 style icon Jennifer Aniston wears fedoras all the time.
What’s the secret for how to wear a hat like this and make it work? Jennifer likes to:
- Wear fedoras with super-casual pieces, like slightly-faded jeans and fitted t-shirts. This is a super-stylish daytime look you really should try. It’s perfect for running errands, going to brunch, and more.
- Throw one on with a maxi dress- it makes the perfect topper because it’s more unexpected than a floppy hat with these ’70s-inspired pieces, giving your look a fresh spin. It also provides just enough sun coverage for barbeques and other outdoor events.
- Style a fedora with masculine pieces. Since fedoras are borrowed from the boys, they go perfectly with shorts, tees, blazers and button-up shirts.
Just remember: To keep the effortless feel of a fedora, stick to more casual pieces. Otherwise, you risk looking costume-y! Here’s a few fab fedoras.
Floppy Hats For Women
The floppy hat is a staple of boho style. Popular with the rich and glamorous in the 70s, it carries a movie-star quality that just can’t be denied. But how to wear a floppy hat without looking like a blast from the past?
First of all, skip pairing it with a maxi dress or anything else too “hippie”. It will seriously age you.
- Pairing your floppy hat with tailored pieces – This will make your look more modern and also create a beautiful visual contrast: The strong shape of your clothes will play off the loose shape of the hat’s brim. Structured dresses or fitted trousers are great examples of “structured” pieces. They’ll keep the look 21st century and let your hat be the scene-stealer.
- Adding a dash of floral print or feminine hues, like corals, pinks or yellows.These will add a bit of softness that will complement the hat. Meaning? A structured, floral dress or pair of fitted pants in a summery hue are made to go with floppy hats!
Still feeling nervous? A floppy hat is a natural at the beach or pool, so take it for a test drive there first! Here’s a few great floppy sun hats for women.
I’m sure you’ve got the memo by now: The ’90s are back. For better or worse, all the big trends of that bygone decade are re-surfacing, including bucket hats. But you don’t need to look like a faded hip-hop star to wear one. In fact, bucket hats are so popular now because they are a great alternative to last season’s baseball cap.
If you have a style that veers towards preppy or athletic, then this hat is the one for you! Here’s how to wear a Bucket hat:
- Combine it with preppy staples like cropped pants and flats. It will look so cute!
- Try a bucket hat with canvas tennis shoes and Bermuda shorts for an athletic spin on the style.
Unlike floppy hats or fedoras, bucket hats cannot, ever, be worn for evening. The beauty of the bucket is that it’s a casual daytime piece- and sporting one after dusk will make you look seriously out-of-place.
Other tips for nailing the look? Keep the rest of your look streamlined and simple- you want the interesting shape of your hat to be the showstopper here. And if you really want to work the trend? Try a bucket hat in a preppy pattern or some sporty stripes! Take a look at these.
What what is your favorite and what ideas do you have for how to wear a summer hat? Comment below and send in a photo so I can post it!