Sure you’ve dated before, but finding love the second time around can be awkward and scary. At 40, 50 and beyond, what do you say, how do you act, and what the heck do you wear on a date so you look sexy,and not desperate? Here are 3 outfits to make to make you feel confident and look alluring in a classy, grown-up way.
What to Wear on a Dinner Date
You’re a woman. Vivé la difference. You can’t go wrong in a dress!
- Wear your dress at or above the knee and accessorize it with some flirty pieces.
- Choose a fitted but not skin- tight dress.
- A wrap or faux wrap dress will minimize your mid-section.
- When the focus is your legs, avoid excessive cleavage or visa versa. One sexy focal point is enough.
- Keep your neckline feminine by adding a drop necklace that sits at your bust.
- Wear with a shiny pair of pumps to show off your calves. A peep toe is sexy.
What to Wear on a Coffee Date
This is one of the hardest types of dates to dress for because you want to look cute and pulled-together, but not too overdone.
- Try a straight leg jean in a dark wash to look slim and classy.
- Since your legs are covered, select a top that shows a little skin (but not too much!). If you feel too exposed in a v-neck, layer a camisole with a lacy trim underneath.
- Add a cropped jacket in an eye-catching color that compliments the colors in your top. Pinks and peaches will make your skin glow- very feminine.
- Keep your accessories casual: a printed flat, neutral grab bag, and a long necklace pull the look together.
What to Wear on a Casual Date ( to a Museum, Art Show etc.)
- Look fun and sophisticated by pairing classic staples with fun accessories.
- Inject some spirit into a classic skirt and sweater combo with a funky statement necklace and cool watch.
- A pair of pumps in an unexpected color shows off your spunky side.
- This look says “ladylike” and “youthful” at the same time.
Don’t try to dress up as someone you’re not. This is especially important on the first few dates because you want your date to see you for who you are, not a contrived version of yourself. Play up what you feel are your own best features and own it! Remember: confidence is sexy. So don’t forget to be yourself and have fun with it!
And if those aren’t enough outfits to wear on a date, here’s one more. This look is from my reader, JoBee. She is her 70′s and is widowed and dating. Doesn’t she look fab? *This post has been updated since originally published in 2010 in keeping with current style. Guest Contributor for this article: Chantelle Collier.