Many of you have asked for a quick and easy way to dump the frump and look fabulous in a casual, classy way. Have you tried a long, cozy cardigan?
Long cardigans with a slightly oversize fit are popular this fall. You’ll find lots that hit just above the knee, but 70’s style maxi length is becoming popular too.
The best ones have an interesting detail like a draped neckline or asymmetrical hemline. Texture and pattern are also important because it adds so much personality and dimension to your look. Anything like a cable knit or an animal print will be spot on this fall.
More reasons to love a long cardigan?
1) They’re warm and cozy. You’ll want to live in them all winter!
2) They’re a great way to deal with a sleeveless top, which I know many of you aren’t big on because you prefer to cover your arms.
3) They give an outfit more presence. They are not as commanding as a jacket but they since they are semi-structured, they do give you some power in a gentler way.
Long cardigans are also perfect for traveling. When you are on a plane, train or in the car, you want something light, warm, and comfy, and a long cardigan is it!
If you’re bent on steering clear of long cardigans because, in your mind, an oversize knit = ten pounds heavier, then know this. A long cardigan can actually be very slimming. Here’s how to wear it right.
1. Wear your long cardigan with skinny jeans or leggings.With all that bulk up top, you don’t want a bulky bottom. Keep things as skinny as you can below.
2. Don’t wear a thick or heavy sweater under your long sweater. Not only will you boil, but you will look like a mama bear! Stick to A fitted tee shirt with A V-neckline or scoop neckline, or wear a pretty, silky blouse or a shirt.
3. Layer your long cardigan over a dark column of color.
This trick is especially good for large gals who don’t want extra bulk or a petite gal who are worried about being swallowed up by a long cardigan. By wearing one dark color top to bottom, including your booties, and layering a lighter or brighter sweater on top a different color, you create a color illusion that makes you look long and lean. The eye can’t help but go up and down that long dark vertical line in the middle. All one color as a base is also a great way to really show off your long cardigan and let it take center stage.
4. Wear booties or shoes with heels with your long cardigan! Flat riding boots look great with skinny jeans and a long cardigan but if you are concerned it will shorten you, try and ankle bootie with a heel. It doesn’t have to be 4″ sky-high. Even a couple of inches helps balance the length and weight of a long cardigan, and make you look tall and lean.
5. Belt it
Push up the sleeves, grab a belt and wrap it around your waist to show it off. The heavier the knit, the thicker/chunkier the belt.This can be a very cool girl look with the right long cardigan on the right gal.
Here are some more cozy, long cardigans in stores now.