I am over forty and have recently considered wearing headbands and other hair accessories because my hair is so short. A little history… I cut my relaxed hair off and decided to go natural and not chemically straighten my hair anymore. However, this process is proving to be difficult because I am currently at an awkward growth stage and want to use some hair accessories.
I’ve been following your blog and saw one post where you talked about headbands for women over 40 and said we should not wear floral or bow headbands. Mind you, I am not talking about huge hair accessories, just something to wear to get me through the current awkward stage. So, if not flowers or bows, what would you suggest? – Thanks, HeatherLisa Q.
I’m glad you brought this question up since a headband can certainly be a good thing to wear when transitioning from one style to another. It might also be something you want to make part of your signature style. Let’s recap what I told a reader who asked me if it was o.k. to wear hairbands? I said:
“Headbands can be fine at any age, but as a mature woman, I’d steer clear of flowers, bows, and sparkly little girl styles.
A headband or headscarf can be just the ticket when transitioning your hairstyle, so I say yes to a headband, but no to a flashy or junior style headband for women.
Here are some things to think about when wearing a headband or any hair accessory:
- If you are wearing a headband for women, keep your other accessories simple. You don’t want to compete with glasses or large earrings etc.
- To look sophisticated choose a color that blends in with your hair color so there is only a subtle hint of a hairband.
- A casual headband ( typically a brighter color) usually says “preppy.” Make sure your outfit is also casual to work with this look.
- A dressy, fine headband needs to be in harmony with your formal dress. Keep the dress very simple as you don’t want to compete with the hair accessory.
- Scarves are a fun way to keep your hair back and can give you a more mod or bohemian look.
- Anything with a bow will not be age appropriate.