How low is too low? What is age appropriate when trying to dress and be a little sexy when you are over 40?
I ran this photo of a lovely woman in her late 40’s recently, wearing this overall conservative outfit, except the blouse was low cut.
In the comment section one of our readers wrote in, “…can you please address the question, how low can you go when it comes to dressing after 40?”O.K. you are right, we have not addressed the issue of how much cleavage is too much cleavage. This is a tricky one, since there are a lot of things to factor into that equation.
First off, let’s look at Stacey (seen here). She is dressed fashionably, yet conservatively (long skirt and long sleeves, nothing too tight, fabric is not clingy or form-fitting). She is not extremely busty, and so even though she is wearing a low cut blouse, your eyes are not going to her bust because she has filled the chest area with a bold necklace that draws the eye up.
She was also on vacation and traveling, not at work, so we think this look on her is totally appropriate. Moreover, she just happens to be single as well!!! So, she is dressed just fine and age appropriately.
Now, take that same outfit and put it in a corporate work environment and we would say that she should consider changing the blouse to one that is not as sexy.
Here are some things one should consider before going too low:
- Are you busty? (If “the girls” are bigger, make sure you’ve got them into a good fitting bra and you will have to be a little more careful on how much to show.)
- Where are you going? (Are you on play time or work time?)
- What is the fabric you are wearing? (Is it thin, clinging fabric, or one that is stiff?)
- How do you look overall in the outfit, what part is drawing the most attention? (Are you showing bulges in your stomach or waist and how much of your bust is hanging out?)
- Where do you live? (Are you surrounded by flashy, sexy women or would you stand out if you showed a lot of skin?)
- Are you going out in a social setting? What message are you trying to send?
There is no easy answer to this, but if your gut is telling you you’re showing off too much, then you probably are.
However, there are many women who have great figures that are hiding behind safe clothes and feeling frumpy.
There is a balance to all of this, and there is not an easy one-size-fits-all answer.
Lets keep this discussion going…please comment below!