Hi Glam Gals,
I love your website and I need your help. Dresses for women over 40 are hard to find but I just purchased this dress the other day and plan to wear it to the office. The neckline is quite low so I will wear a camisole but I am struggling to work out how to accessorize and what color to accessorize with. Do I go with a long necklace or a chunkier shorter one?
Thanks so much
Taya from Australia
Good job on this purchase! This is one of the best dresses for women over 40 and is perfect dress for the office because it is simple, looks professional and can be worn all year long. So now the key to accessorizing a wrap dress is balancing the overall look.
$370 - styletread.com.au
$350 - farfetch.com
$140 - debenhams.com
Taya, you can go for a long or short necklace or a combo of both. The main thing is to be aware that your camisole neckline will affects your choice of necklace. A camsiole with a simple, black, round neckline is your best bet for this dress. If you wear a short chunky necklace go with one that fills in your chest area, but stays above your cami neckline a touch. You can layer a simple chain with a long one too which looks very modern.
Other accessories to consider are your shoes and hose. They will affect the overall look of your wrap dress too. You can wear a sexy strappy sandal to spice up the dress, or just a simple pump if it is for work. Wedges also look great with wrap dresses. You can go no hose, right through to opaques and boots depending on the look you are after.
Here are some options you could choose to look updated at work:
Hose and Shoes:
- This particular wrap dress has simple lines and a contemporary print so the shoes should match these style cues. This means nothing with straps or extra embellishment. Also, the fabric is lightweight so be careful that the shoe has a finer heel – not too clunky.This simple black pump is a great choice for this dress.You could go with no hose or sheer black.
- The necklace could be a few thin chains wrapped around the neck in gold or silver or even a mixture of the two. Something with some small jet black crystals would be pretty too as long as it does not look too formal.
Pop of color in the shoes, sweater and handbag:
- If you do want a pop of color then put the pop of color in the shoes or handbag.
- You could also do a colorful bracelet
- Toss a colorful cardigan over your shoulders if your office is air conditioned.
- With a pair of black opaque hose and a nice boot
- Add that cardigan around your neck or wear it over the dress and belt it
- Wrap dresses work year round and they’re fabulous for traveling because you can toss them in your bag and pull them out to wear without the worry of crinkling.