“When did this happen?”
Do your pants suddenly feel tight? Is your tummy turning to jello? Blame it on that annoying middle age spread that is starting to creep in. Sure a better diet and the gym can help, but most times it’s hard to get totally rid of a muffin top.
Not to worry. Here are ten great tips on how to dress to hide your midlife tummy.
1. Avoid all over baggy clothing – If you think a big loose top will hide a big belly, think again. Baggy tops and pants will exaggerate how big your tummy is. Instead, choose clothes that skim over your tummy without being tight. Clothes with a bit of built-in stretch will help you get a better shape.
2. Avoid tops with banded waistbands – They can hit your tummy at all the wrong places and draw you eye to your middle area.
3. Do not tuck in shirts – This will accentuate your belly and is not flattering. (This does not apply to those who are a pear shape and have a small waist and flat tummy… you are fine to tuck in)
4. Don’t forget that a dress or top that drapes or has ruching is your friend! This red print dress has draping that disguises a little extra weight in the tummy area and is slimming. Ruching (when the fabric is gathered and sewn down) also works well. Just make sure the ruching is subtle. Too much gathered fabric at your tummy make it look like you are wearing a curtain and add bulk.
5. Try a tunic and leggings – A long flowing tunic that covers your bottom worn with leggings and flats or boots is a great way to cover the tummy.
6. Medium rise jeans are the best to avoid the “muffin top” look – Low rise jeans have been all the rage but for many of us it’s not a good look for us. Thank goodness midrise jeans are back in style. They like having a tummy tuck!
7. Opt for layers with long thin fabrics. – A long Tee under a longer cardigan works well. It will create the illusion that you are taller than you are.
8. Try a fitted jacket as opposed to a boxier one – Even if it means taking your jackets to the tailor, it will be well worth it. The fit is key in looking slim in your clothing! Make sure your jacket nips in at the waist.
9. Monochromatic colors can help slim down a look – Stick to one tone from head to toe and then add a jacket or lightweight cover up with a pop of color. Slimming!
10. Shapewear is the new girdle – Shapewear comes in all styles and weights and can instantly slim your tummy down. If you’ve stayed away because you thought it was heavy and uncomfortable, you need to try some on. You’ll be surprised.