You look in the mirror and your favorite pair of pants just barely zip up and you really don’t feel like your lifestyle is all that different. However, sad but true, as we start to age our body just seems to re-arrange itself! When you are 40, 50 or beyond you tend to get thicker in the middle and no matter how much exercise or dieting you do your mid section just wants to spread out. Now that it’s summer, we can’t hide our “problem areas” as easily as we can in the cooler weather.
Here are 10 tips on how to hide your tummy!
1. Avoid all over baggy clothing. Baggy tops and pants can give the appearance of more of a tummy that is really there. Opt for a smooth fabric with stretch. If you have a loose top then you should pair it with a smooth pant. If wearing a loose fitting pant try a smooth top.
2. Avoid banded waist tops - They can hit your tummy at all the wrong places and draw you eye to your middle area.
3. Do not tuck in shirts – This will accentuate your belly and is not flattering. (This does not apply to those who are a pear shape and have a small waist and flat tummy… you are fine to tuck in)
4. Don’t forget that ruching is your friend! Ruching is when the fabric is gathered and sewn down. It can be a great way to disguise a little extra weight in the tummy area but is slimming at the same time.
5. Try an outfit consisting of a tunic and leggings - This is an updated look and comfortable too!
6. Medium rise jeans are the best to avoid the “muffin top” look - Low rise jeans have been all the rage but for many of us it’s not a good look for us. If your top is tucked out, no one will know where you jeans come up to, so you can wear a higher rise and not feel like you’re out of style.
7. Opt for layers with thin long fabrics. - A long Tee under a longer cardigan works well. It will create the illusion that you are taller then you really are.
8. Try a fitted jacket as opposed to a boxier one - Even if it means taking your jackets to the tailor it will be well worth it. Fit is key in looking slim in your clothing!
9. Monochromatic colors can help slim down a look - Stick to one tone from head to toe and then add a jacket or lightweight cover up with a pop of color.
10. Shapewear is the new girdle - Shapewear comes in all styles and weights and can instantly slim your tummy down.