When is the last time you made a date to go out to lunch with a girlfriend? There is no set rules on what you should wear but we think it makes it easier to throw on a well thought out outfit if you get some fresh ideas to spice things up.
So what are some of the trends we are seeing this summer? You might want to check out our post we did recently on gold shoes. They have been one of our favorite “go to” items this season. Another trend has been pleated skirts and polka dots but can they can be tricky to pull off when you’re over a certain age.
Here are some tips to look on how to make an outfit age appropriate and have you looking fabulous after 40:
- Start with a bright, colorful skirt. It doesn’tt have to be pleated but make sure it is not too long or too short. We like a skirt to hit right at the back of our knee.
- Make sure the top has wide straps. This is very important! If you try to do a top with spaghetti straps it will not look as good. The wider straps help balance a body out. This is just a simple t-shirt but because of the print it gives it a little flair.
- The top need to be long enough to keep tuck outed. Tucking in, is one of those things that just don’t work as well if your body is starting to get a little thick in the middle. However, if you are one of those lucky women who actually still has a waist (it means you are most likely a pear shape), you will want to add a medium width belt to polish off the look.
- Gold shoes. Yes, this little low heeled wedge is the perfect touch. You won’t want to try to match the orange with an orange shoe, it just will be too match, match. Same goes for white, white shoes can be really hard to pull off! Best to go with a nude or gold tone shoe.
- Oversized straw tote. Here is a interesting thing to think about. If you try to put a hard, structured bag with this dress you are going to look like your off to church. The straw tote gives it a casual feel that tones down the outfit.
- Chunky necklace. Here is where the accessory is key! If you try to put a tiny necklace with this, it will get lost in all the polka dots. Plus the orange beads really pull the outfit all together. That is what a good accessory will always do!