I’m always talking about how all you have to do over 40 is tweak your chic®. Shorts are a good example. With a few minor tweaks, you can look fabulous in them at any age.
Here are some pointers:
1. Wear your shorts a little longer if you legs are not as firm as they used to be. The best length is a couple of inches above your knee however, you can go with mid-thigh ( a 4- 11″ inseam) if you don’t mind showing off more leg. (Check your mirror.) My legs are pretty toned, good, so I’m wearing a 4.5-inch inseam here, below for a backyard BBQ.
2. Make sure they are not too tight especially in the thighs. If you have side pockets, they should not flare out.
3. Buy good quality shorts – Even a relaxed, casual pair of cotton shorts should look classy, and fit well. A pair of crisp, tailored dressy short is lovely, especially on mature women. ( i.e., Bermuda shorts are a popular type of dress shorts for women over 50) Or, you could go with a soft, silky, loose short in a luxurious material. Note: No frayed cutoff shorts. They are way too casual and junior.
Shop this look by clicking photos below:
4. Wear your shorts with something up top that isn’t too skimpy. You want to look classy, not trashy, and if you are showing off your legs, it’s best to keep it more conservative up top. Too much skin and it starts to look tacky. A very popular look this summer is this look above: an easy, silky summer blouse with the sleeves rolled up paired with shorts, a statement necklace, earrings, cute flats and a tote bag. Adorable!
Here are some in stores now:
What about Jean Shorts for Women Over 40?
- A darker wash jean will make you look thinner.
- A dark wash is richer looking too.
- Stay away from short, faded, or frayed jean shorts ( Daisy Dukes).
- Try a solid color. Do you have a pair of shorts that are a pretty solid color? If not, they’ll make a great addition to your wardrobe. If you keep the look monochromatic – top the same color as the shorts – it will be more slimming. However, a solid top in a contrasting hue can be stunning, too. Have fun with color combinations and try something other than white or black.
- Playful stripes or patterns. Why not get out of the safe zone and find a pair with some personality? Pair them with a simple white fitted t-shirt or shirt and you have a new look that is festive and fresh.
- Keep accessories simple. You don’t need a lot of jewelry when you wear shorts. You want to keep the look casual, so any jewelry you choose needs to have a sporty vibe to it.
- Keep your purse casual too. Another disconnect – women wear shorts with stiff or designer bags that have a lot of hardware. You handbag will look like a fish out of the water if you carry a serious, formal bag with your outfit.
- A straw tote or soft leather bag will look best. Before heading out the door with your good everyday bag make sure to take the time to change out your bag to one that is more casual.
- Try a low wedge sandal. To dress up your shorts, you can try a little wedge. This will lengthen the leg! The shoe needs to be a casual style to match the feel of the outfit. Go with pretty sandals instead of tennis shoes. Tennis shoes are too clunky and weigh down your look.
The bottom line is: shorts for women over 40 look fresh and updated when you put a little effort and thought into it! For more ideas on how to wear shorts check these tips for Cute and Classy Ways to Style Shorts.