Living in Texas can get super duper hot in the summer. It’s just not practical to wear jeans. Can you help with some ideas on how to wear shorts when you are over 40 that still look o.k. and not silly?
Yes you can wear shorts at any age, you just have to think about a few things. Here are some tips to make sure you’re looking fabulous after 40 on these hot summer days!
- Be aware that your shorts are not too short. This means no higher than 2 inches above your knees. Anything higher and you will be competing with the 18 year olds! Yikes!
- If you wear jean shorts, a darker wash will make you look thinner. Just makes sense, since the darker the color of the shorts the more flattering they will be. Also, dark wash is richer looking, too.
- Try a solid pretty color. Do you have a pair of shorts that is a solid pretty color? If not, they make a great addition to anyone’s wardrobe. If you keep the look monochromatic it will be more slimming. However, a solid top in a contrasting hue can be stunning, too. Have fun with color combinations and try something other than white or black.
- Playful stripes or patterns. Why not get out of the safe zone and find a pair with some personality. Now is the time to find them on sale. Pair them with a simple white t-shirt or blouse and you have a new look that is festive and fresh.
- Keep accessories simple. You really don’t need a necklace when you wear shorts. Once again, you want to keep the look casual, so any jewelry you choose needs to have a rustic vibe to it.
- Keep your purse casual too. Another disconnect we see out there are women who carry stiff or designer bags with their shorts. You handbag will look like a fish out of water if you carry a fancy or stiff one with your outfit.
- A straw tote or soft leather bag will look best. Before heading out the door with your everyday good bag make sure to take the time to change out your bag to one that is more casual.
- Try a low wedge sandal. To dress up your shorts you can try a little wedge. This will lengthen the leg! However, make sure the shoe is a casual style to match the theme of the outfit. Go with pretty sandals instead of a tennis shoe. Tennis shoes are too clunky and weigh down your look.
Bottom line is shorts for women over 40 can be a fresh and updated look when you put a little effort and thought into it!