You’re off to the office but need to stay warm. Here is a simple idea on how to wear tall boots to the office from Etiquette expert Lisa Taylor Richey and it’s easy as 1,2,3! Lisa says:
1. Choose a dress or skirt
2. Next you will need a pair of opaque hose
3. Toss on your boots
Now, you will be toasty warm and still look professional.
Of course, there are always exceptions to the rules… First, know your company culture and office. If you have doubts, usually the answer is “no,” don’t wear the boots. However, most offices these days are not that formal so by adding a good pair of simple, basic boots you will be able to stretch your current wardrobe.
Here are some do’s and don’ts on how to stay professional but warm when you’re heading to the office or meeting a client:
Tips for Wearing Boots to the Office
- Start with a pair of opaque tights; great for warmth and more comfortable than pantyhose. Sheer or nude hose don’t work because you need some “weight” to your stockings to help balance the bulk of the boot.
- Boots with your slacks is a yes! (just don’t “tuck” them into your pants for the office)
- Do keep the color of your boots to black or brown. Stay conservative.
- Keep the heels polished and clean. Take last years boots to a shoe repair if heels look worn.
- Don’t wear over-the-knee boots to the office, they are not age appropriate or professional.
- Don’t wear short skirts with boots (skirt length should at least be at your knee or below). The young girls can pull it off; after 40 it’s a big “no, no!”
- Don’t wear boots with really high heels (3 inches is the perfect height for the office)
What do you look for when buying a pair of boots for your work wardrobe? Please leave your comment below:
Lisa Taylor Richey is the founder of The American Academy of Etiquette.