I love maxi dresses! I remember wearing them in the 60’s and 70’s.
My daughter always tells me, “If you wore the style the first time around, you shouldn’t wear it when it comes back.” And, the truth is, I don’t want one that shows all my cleavage or my arms.
I like dresses with color and print. Have you seen some fun, maxi dresses with sleeves that work for women our age? Thanks, Nancy
This pretty red Tory Burch maxi caftan will give you lots of color and coverage. The keyhole neckline is pretty and feminine without showing too much, and there are sleeves. It covers, but it still looks alluring because of the subtle front slit.
I’m sure your daughter means well, but I’m going to have to disagree with her. In fashion, there is not much that is truly new and original. Looks get recycled. If we all followed your daughter’s “only once in a lifetime” rule, there’d be nothing for gals 40, 50 and beyond to wear.
Maxi dresses are back in style, but as usual there are new fabrics, patterns and details that make them fresh modern.
For gals who want to cover the top part of their arms only (the jiggly bit), this rich red cold shoulder maxi is a fantastic option. This dress camouflages your problem area, but still looks and feels very summery.
Both of these dresses because of their colors would also transition nicely into fall. All you would need to do is add a jacket or a throw.
I’ve picked out a few dresses that fit the bill, and I jotted down a few things to think about when buying the perfect long-sleeved maxi dress. Take a look.
Style Tips For Wearing Long-Sleeved Maxi Dresses:
- A long-sleeved maxi in a solid, dark color will look more dressy than a light/bright summery print, so if you want to look festive and fun, choose a lively print or a dark solid with splashes of bright color.
- A little skin looks youthful. If you prefer to cover up your arms but still want to look sexy and youthful, then try a wrap dress style. This will show off your chest and make your neck look longer which equates to making you looking slimmer.
- Choose a long-sleeved maxi dress in a soft silhouette skimming fabric that follows your curves. A long-sleeved maxi in a crisp or stiff fabric will make you look bulky and dowdy.
- 3/4 length sleeves give you the coverage you want on upper arms that jiggle and 3/4 are a sportier, sexier look than a full-length sleeve.
- Make sure you get the right size. With so much coverage, you don’t want to be drowning in fabric, especially if you’re short or petite.
These kind of dresses are great for covering your arms, and they also do the trick if you prefer to hide your legs in summer. A very lovely, sophisticated solution!