I love maxi dresses! I remember wearing them in the 60’s and 70’s. My daughter always tells me, “If you wore the style the first time around, you shouldn’t wear it when it comes back.” And, the truth is, I don’t want one that shows all my cleavage or my arms.
I like dresses with color and print. Have you seen some fun, maxi dresses with sleeves that work for women our age? Thanks, Nancy
I’m sure your daughter means well, but I’m going to have to disagree with her. In fashion, there is not much that is truly new and original. Looks get recycled. If we all followed your daughter’s “only once in a lifetime” rule, there’d be nothing for gals 40, 50 and beyond to wear.
Maxi dresses are back in style, but as usual, there are new fabrics, patterns and details that make them fresh modern. Here’s one I found that is rather lovely.
You never said how much of your arms you wanted to cover, but I think this one will do the trick. It’s a beautiful teal wrap maxi dress with sheer 3/4 length sleeves that gently camouflages any problem spots. You don’t have to cover your arms shoulder to wrist to get the coverage you want.
If you are looking for more arm coverage then how about this blue floral maxi wrap dress? Worn with booties and a soft saddle bag it has a laid back boho vibe.
With shirtdress style maxis, my advice would be to watch the size. A shirtdress style is not very fitted and can look boxy if you buy one that is too big. Be sure the sleeves aren’t too long and that you nip in your waist with the drawstring, or else you will look like you are wearing a big bag or worse, curtains! Heels also help you get a long lean look.
Shop this Purple print ,jersey, long sleeve maxi
Here are a few other Style Tips For Wearing Long Sleeve Maxi Dresses:
- A long-sleeved maxi in a solid, dark color will look more dressy than a light/bright summery print, so if you want to look festive and fun, choose a lively print or a dark solid with splashes of bright color.
- A little skin looks youthful. If you prefer to cover up your arms but still want to look sexy and youthful, then try a wrap dress style. This will show off your chest and make your neck look longer which equates to making you looking slimmer.
- Choose a long-sleeved maxi dress in a soft silhouette skimming fabric that follows your curves. A long-sleeved maxi in a crisp or stiff fabric will make you look bulky and dowdy.
- 3/4 length sleeves give you the coverage you want on upper arms that jiggle and 3/4 are a sportier, sexier look than a full-length sleeve.
- Make sure you get the right size. With so much coverage, you don’t want to be drowning in fabric, especially if you’re short or petite.
These kind of dresses are great for covering your arms, and they also do the trick if you prefer to hide your legs in summer. A very lovely, sophisticated solution!