I love maxi dresses! I remember wearing them in the 60’s and 70’s.
My daughter always tells me, “If you wore the style the first time around, you shouldn’t wear it when it comes back.” And, the truth is, I don’t want one that shows all the cleavage or my arms.
I like dresses with color and print. Have you seen some fun, dresses that work for women our age? Thanks, Nancy
A Maxi dress like this would give you lots of color and coverage. I’m sure your daughter means well, but I’m going to have to disagree with her.
In fashion, there’s not much that is truly new and original. Looks get recycled. If we followed your daughter’s “only once in a lifetime” rule, there’d be nothing for us gals 40, 50 and beyond to wear. Maxi dresses are back in style but this time around there are new fabrics, patterns and details that make them fresh modern. I can understand you not wanting to reveal cleavage or show your arms. A lot of us feel self-conscious about our arms or find sleeveless too cold.
I’ve picked out a few dresses that will work for you and jotted down a few things to think about when buying the perfect long sleeve maxi dress. Take a look.
Style Tips For Wearing Long Sleeved Maxi Dresses:
- A long-sleeved maxi in a solid, dark color will look dressier than a light/bright summery print, so if you want to look festive and fun choose a lively print or a dark solid with splashes of bright color.
- A little skin looks youthful. If you prefer to cover up your arms but still want to look sexy and youthful, then try a wrap dress style. This will show off your chest and actually makes your neck look longer which equates to making you looking slimmer.
- Choose a long-sleeved maxi dress in a soft silhouette skimming fabric that follows your curves. A long-sleeved maxi in a crisp or stiff fabric will make you look bulky and dowdy.
- 3/4 length sleeves give you the coverage you want on upper arms that jiggle, and 3/4 are a sportier, sexier look than a full length sleeve.
- Make sure you get the right size. With so much coverage you don’t want to be drowning in fabric, especially if you’re short or petite.
These kind of dresses are great for covering your arms and they also do the trick if you prefer to hide your legs in summer. A very lovely, sophisticated solution!