Finding the right shoes to wear at your daughter or son’s wedding is a challenge. You want your shoes to be fine, elegant and classy but they need to be comfy too.
Here are 9 Do’s and Don’ts for picking and wearing the perfect pair with style.
1. Don’t Buy Dyeable Shoes
Perfectly matching the color of your shoes to your mother of the bride gown is very passé. Plus, when your feet sweat, your feet will turn color. You’re better off with a neutral like gold or silver mother of the bride shoes.
2. Do Break Your Shoes In Before The Wedding
Vacuum in them. Walk up stairs in them. Otherwise you’ll be walking around the reception with big blisters. Choose comfortable Mother of the Bride shoes.
3. Don’t Change Into Rubber or Plastic Flip Flops During the Reception, or Even Worse, Go Barefoot
Is the dance floor a dormitory shower, or the boardwalk? Change into a lower heeled formal shoe if you must, but respect the formality of the event.
4. Don’t Choose Mother of the Bride Wedding Shoes with Boxy or Squared Toes
These heavy, clunky looking styles do nothing to elongate your leg, and are best left for more casual outfits. Fine occasions call for fine shoes.
5. Don’t Buy Shoes That are Not Your Size!
Too many women fall in love with a shoe that’s a half size too big and end up stepping out of it, or they buy a size too small hoping they’ll be able ignore the pain. You can’t. If you really can’t get the store or shop to locate it in the correct size, move on!
6. Don’t Wear a Heel You May Slip Out of, or Fall Off
A mule or a 5” stiletto heel will give you rolled ankles and swollen feet if you are not used to wearing them. Let’s make sure the limo, not the ambulance, is what transports you from the ceremony to reception!
7. Don’t Opt For Price Over Quality
Expensive, well-made and comfortable shoes are worth the investment. Scrimp on less important things. (We won’t tell anyone those earrings are faux-pearl!)
8. Don’t Stress Over Mother of the Bride Shoes and Matching Bags
This is old school and looks too perfect. It’s much more modern to get shoes and a purse that complement each other, not match perfectly.
9. Do pick up a copy of my e-book Tweak Your Chic- Mother of the Bride and Look Fabulous after 40 at the Wedding!