Q. Hi Deborah! Can you give some advice to a short women who can’t wear heels anymore. Because of foot and knee problems I’m married to flats for life which has me wearing slacks all the time. What’s a girl to do? And being only 5 feet tall makes it even more difficult to look and feel fabulous…Help!!! Thanks Janine
Do you have good legs and slim ankles? If so, you can still wear a shift dress and flats and look FAB! If not, you should stick with pants, but you can really still have fun with your shoes even if you can only wear flats. Here are some tips:
- Keep colors monochromatic. In other words keep your shoes the same color as your pants ( and top too if you can) and you will appear taller!
- Buy the prettiest flats you can find and create an outfit around them!
- Have you tried low wedges or a chunkier heel? These might offer a tiny bit of height without hurting too much.
- Find a wonderful interesting jacket and keep everything underneath all one color to slim and lengthen. Make sure your flats are simple with this look so as not to take away from the jacket.
- When you see a woman on the street or at the mall who is a similar height and body type, and you like the way she looks, take note of what makes her look good. Better yet, go up to her and ask where she shops! Women love to share their beauty secrets and are always flattered to be asked!
- FIT is super important. You probably already have staggering alteration bills, but don’t forget to keep the sleeves on all jackets and coats altered so they are not too long. The proper fit is half the battle to looking and feeling FAB no matter what your height.