A Safari dress is a classic summer staple that has been around for a long time and resurfaces every few years. If you are like me, you’ve probably owned at least one in your life. (In fact, I’ve owned several!)
How do you take something so basic and practical and make it look modern? Here are a few ideas for how to style safari dresses in 2016.
A Safari style dress is basically a shirt dress, and shirt dresses tend to be on the short side. If you prefer not to show so much leg, there are two things you can try:
1) Wear low-heeled shoes. Low wedges, flatforms or low block heels are more hearty than a skinny stiletto and go well with the look and feel of a dress like this.
2) Throw on some leggings underneath your dress. A tan or khaki safari dress with black leggings can look really sharp. This way you can wear a higher heel.
Whichever way you choose to wear your safari style dress, keep these things in mind when selecting shoes:
- A natural wedge or flatform in rope or cork is a natural fit for Safari Style.
- Chunky slingback, open toe sandals look modern and cool.
- Strappy sandals with chunky high heels work with the jungle adventure vibe.
- Suede or any other kind of textured shoe or bootie is great.
- Gladiator sandals ( tall are newest) in brown, tan or gold are perfect too.
Safari dresses have a natural feel to them so stay away from shoes that are too city chic. For example, high gloss patent leather pumps would be all wrong. You need a more earthy shoe.
Layer Your Safari Dress
You can wear your Safari dress, as is, or if you like, you can wear a cute camisole underneath and unbutton the few 3 or so buttons to show it off. For example, an olive green one with a tan or black camisole peeking out from underneath gives a sporty, layered look.
Wear your Dress as a Vest
The other thing you can do is wear a long, short-sleeved scoop neck t-shirt under your shirtdress. Unbutton your Safari shirtdress and wear it like a long vest over your top. This works best with sleeveless Safari dresses. You can leave the belt hanging or better yet knot it loosely at the back of your dress to keep you dress open like a vest.
The Best Jewelry for Safari Dresses
A touch of natural looking or tribal jewelry can go a long way to glam up this look. Go for:
- Statement necklaces with big, irregular stones
- Jewelry with rough, metallic finishes
- Colorful beading
- Textured leathers, braiding
- Dangly earrings with imperfect interesting beads and hammered metals
- Chunky and ethnic style metal cuffs and rope bracelets
The Bag for a Safari Dress
The Safari look is comfortable and relaxed. Your bag should be too. Go for an unstructured bag.
- Nothing formal, soft and slouchy is good or a casual, sporty tote
- A cross-shoulder strap bag like a messenger bag also works well
- Leather or canvas looks right with this jungle adventure style
Dresses like the ones I’m showing you here are just one type of safari clothing for women. Safari jackets, cargo pants, and utilitarian style skirts are all part of the safari chic look. Have a look at how these 40+ bloggers style safari.
Do you like Safari dresses? Have you ever owned one?