A Safari dress is a classic summer staple that has been around for a long time and resurfaces every few years. If you are like me, you’ve probably owned at least one in your life. (In fact, I’ve owned several!)
How do you take something so basic and practical and make it look modern? Here are a few ideas for how to style safari dresses in 2017.
Layer Your Safari Dress
You can wear your Safari dress, as is, or if you like, you can wear a cute scoop neck tank underneath and unbutton 3 or so buttons to show it off. For example, an olive-green safari dress with a tan or black tank peeking out from underneath gives a sporty, layered look.
Wear Leggings or Jeans
A Safari style dress is basically a shirt dress, and shirt dresses tend to be on the short side. If you prefer not to show so much leg, a tan or khaki safari dress with black leggings or white jeans can look really sharp. This way you can wear a higher heel.
Wear your Dress as a Vest
If you want to make your safari dress look more like a long vest wear one color head to toe underneath such as a scoop neck white top and white jeans and them wear your safari dress unbuttoned over top. This works best with sleeveless Safari dresses. You can leave the belt hanging or better yet, knot it loosely at the back of your dress.
The Best Shoes for Safari Dresses
- Low wedges, flatforms or low block heels are more hearty than a skinny stiletto and go well with the look and feel of a dress like this.
- A natural wedge or flatform in rope or cork is a natural fit for Safari Style.
- Chunky slingback, open toe sandals look modern and cool.
- Strappy sandals with chunky high heels work with the jungle adventure vibe.
- Suede or any other kind of textured shoe or bootie is great.
- Gladiator sandals ( tall are newest) in brown, tan or gold are perfect too.
Safari dresses have a natural feel to them so stay away from shoes that are too city chic. For example, high gloss patent leather pumps would be all wrong. You need a more earthy shoe.
The Best Jewelry for Safari Dresses
A touch of natural looking or tribal jewelry can go a long way to glam up this look. Go for:
- Statement necklaces with big, irregular stones
- Jewelry with rough, metallic finishes
- Colorful beading
- Textured leathers, braiding
- Dangly earrings with imperfect interesting beads and hammered metals
- Chunky and ethnic style metal cuffs and rope bracelets
The Bag for a Safari Dress
The Safari look is comfortable and relaxed. Your bag should be too. Go for an unstructured bag.
- Nothing formal, soft and slouchy is good or a casual, sporty tote
- A cross-shoulder strap bag like a messenger bag also works well
- Leather or canvas looks right with this jungle adventure style
Dresses like the ones I’m showing you here are just one type of safari clothing for women. Safari jackets, cargo pants, and utilitarian style skirts are all part of the safari chic look. Have a look at how these 40+ bloggers style safari.
Do you like Safari dresses? Have you ever owned one?