I’d love to know what you think about the tights/pantyhose/knee high dilemma. When is a woman too old to wear tights, as in black, opaque tights or colored opaque tights? If she is too old for tights, do you recommend pantyhose?
Also, what about knee highs with pants? If a woman feels that she needs them is it best to go with more of a “trouser sock” in black or a color, or to wear nude knee highs? Thanks, Michele
This is one of those “grey” areas that doesn’t get much press! Since summer is coming, it’s even more relevant, so here’s what I think:
I do feel pantyhose can be aging but let’s be real, they are often necessary! The key to pulling them off is to wear an ultrasheer that is a nude shade that closely matches the color of your skin. Donna Karan makes some excellent sheer nude shades. If you are in between shades, choose the darker, but really nude should look “nude”.
A great alternative is a nude colored fishnet. These look terrific. Wolford makes a great one.
One final point, never wear pantyhose with a strappy sandal or mule!
As for when is a women too old to wear tights, I’d say never. Black or dark brown tights look great in the fall and winter, but come Spring/Summer I would suggest switching to no hose or nude hose.
My thoughts on knee highs with pants? Don’t do it is my first reaction. However, I hate to say the word “never”…so here’s what I suggest. It all really depends on the shoe and pants and how dressy you are going.
If you are wearing:
- jeans and flats – no socks or hose
- jeans and heels or sandals – no socks or hose
- jeans and a loafer. Thin dress socks are good but in a dark color. (no white ones) Barefoot O.K. Do not wear knee highs.
- Khakis. (same rules as for jeans…however do not wear heels or dress shoes with khakis) Never hose with khakis.
- Dress Pants.- If wearing closed toed pumps or flats you can wear knee highs or hose or go barefoot. If wearing “peep toed” heels or flats no hose. If wearing any type of sandal or mule, no hose.
Hope this clears things up!