Hi there G.G.’s!
I’d love to know what you think about the whole tights/pantyhose/knee high dilemma. When is a woman too old to wear tights, as in black, opaque tights or colored opaque tights? If she is too old for tights, do you recommend pantyhose? To me these just look dated and frumpy. What’s the solution? And what are your thoughts about knee highs with pants? If a woman feels that she needs them is it best to go with more of a “trouser sock” in black or a color, or to wear nude knee highs (which, again, I think look quite dated)
That is certainly one of those “grey” areas that does not really get much press! Since we are coming into summer, this is even more relevant,so here’s our response:
- What is your take on pantyhose? Are pantyhose aging? Yes, we sure do think that! However, if you have to wear pantyhose, try to wear nude that matches the color of your skin as best as possible. Donna Karan makes a few good sheer nude shades. If you are in between shades, choose the darker, but really nude should look “nude”. A great alternative is a nude colored fishnet. These look terrific. Wolford makes a great one. One final point, never wear pantyhose with a peep toe shoe or mule!
- When is a women too old to wear tights? Never. We love tights and wear black or brown tights all fall and winter but come Spring/Summer we switch to no hose or nude hose. However, we think leggings are fine and can be worn at any age.
- What are your thoughts about knee highs with pants? No, yuck. Don’t do it. That’ s our first reaction. I (JoJami) do not even own a pair of knee highs. However, we hate to say the word “never”…so here’s what we suggest… really it all depends on the shoes and pants and how dressy you are going.
If you are wearing:
- jeans and flats. No socks or hose
- jeans and heels or sandals. No sock or hose
- jeans and a loafer. Thin dress socks are good but in a dark color. (no white ones) Barefoot O.K. Do not wear knee highs.
- Khakis. (same rules as for jeans…however do not wear heels or dress shoes with khakis) Never hose with khakis.
- Dress Pants. If wearing closed toed pumps or flats you can wear knee highs or hose or go barefoot. If wearing “peep toed” heels or flats NO HOSE. If wearing any type of sandal or mule, NO HOSE.
Hope this clears things up!