Looking for some quick fixes to turn back the clock?
Guest Beauty blogger Cindy Ingalls has these simple beauty tips for women over 40 that will help you look Age-Amazing.™
1. Primers are your new best friend. A good face primer will fill in wrinkles, fine lines, make pores appear smaller and even color correct your complexion! There are formulas available for all skin types and issues.
2. Lipstick shades can age you. Makeup artist Bobbi Brown suggests only going one or two shades darker than your natural lip color. Avoid matte lipsticks as they tend to settle into your lip lines. Instead, try creamier lipsticks or glosses. Glosses are especially youthful and can make your lips appear fuller.
3. Stick to cream blushes. Older skin usually means dry skin so creamy blushes won’t settle into your fine lines and wrinkles like powders might on dry skin. Creamier products tend to ‘plump’ up your skin. Most cosmetics brands carry cream blushes, I especially like BECCA Cosmetics and Le Metier de Beaute.
4. Eyeliner helps to define the eyes and make them ‘pop.’ Lining the eyes can make them appear larger. Smudging your eyeliner into the upper lash line helps to make your lashes look fuller. A thin line on the lower lash line helps to define. Experiment with colored liners. Makeup artist, Mally Roncal suggests a darker liner on top and a lighter one on the bottom.
Other Beauty Tips for Women over 40 include:
5. Don’t overpluck. Once you hit your 30′s, you’ll want to be careful not to overpluck your eyebrows since brows are less apt to grow back if you excessively pluck. Brow powder applied with a stiff slant brush looks more natural than pencil. There’s nothing worse than drawn on brows!
6. Whiten your teeth. Over time, teeth may yellow from coffee, tea or red wine stains. Use drugstore whitening strips or better yet, a convenient teeth whitening pen.
(note: This one is not a good beauty tip for pregnant women. If you are an older mom to be, as many of us are these days, stay away from whitening products)
7. Stand up straight. Think about all the sexy women you know, they stand up straight and confidently. Not only will this make you look ten pounds thinner in seconds, it will make you look five years younger as well.
8. Choose the right foundation. Visit your local cosmetic counters and try different shades—make sure to go outside and look at them in natural daylight, not only the store lighting. Ask your salesperson for the best formula for your skin type—dry, oily, combination and get samples to take home. One of the best natural face and beauty tips for women I can give you is make sure you select the right shade or foundation, otherwise you will look like you are wearing a mask!
9. Use bronzer to contour your face. A quick swipe with a big fluffy brush on the jawline, a stripe down the center of your neck and a stripe under each cheekbone will take 10 years off. Make sure to blend well with a cosmetic sponge.
10. Brighten your eyes. A little pink or white highlighter on the inside corner will make you look rested and bright-eyed even if you’re not. Lots of brands make eye brightener pencils, IT Cosmetics Eye Hello Bright Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner Duo and Smashbox Eye Beam Double- Ended Brightener are both good choices.
Cindy Ingalls writes the blog PrimeBeauty, a beauty resource for women 40 & Over in their prime.