Faux Fur Vest – Your Best Fall Accessory

It’s fuzzy, it’s warm and it feels so rocker glam. I’m talking about fall’s coolest accessory – the faux fur vest.

faux fur casual

If you’ve been eying this trend, but  have been slow to try it, now is the time to test it out.  Slip on a this gray faux fur vest and see how it can turn a simple, silky blouse and a ordinary pair of blue jeans into a fun, hip look that works at any age.

faus fur vest

Prefer a dressier look? The luxe vests can take boring out of a traditional outfit. Add a dash of bohemian glamour by pairing a faux fur vest with  a cashmere sweater, tailored pants and sexy pumps.

Other ways to wear a faux fur vest. Wear with:

• a midi skirt and floppy hat for a boho look
  • monochromatic pieces for an elegant look
  • belted over top of a knit dress for a modern look
  • a pencil skirt and turtleneck for an office look
  • leather pants for an edgy rock and roll look
  • a long chunky sweater and leggings for a casual, weekend look
  • a peasant blouse or lace top and jeans for a natural, romantic look

Here’s a few fabulous faux fur vests to get you started.

JoBee_faux_fur_vestSee which one you like and tell me why.I’d love to know, or maybe you don’t care for them at all?

One more thing…..

Just to prove you can wear one at any age, here’s reader JoBee who is in her 70’s, rockin a turtleneck sweater paired with a chic faux fur vest.

JoBee, you look fab! Thanks for being such an inspiration.

More From Fabulous After 40

Share Your Comments, Feedback, & Opinions:

Comments, Feedback, & Opinions:

1. Can’t say I’m a fan. Even in your photos of the best ones to try, these models all look boxy. My focus in fashion is to fine something that gives me shape, not takes away.

2. Jean Clayton says:

Deborah, this is a fun trend. Thanks for sharing. I could even see a little blue-haired lady wearing one of these, as well as us heftier women, of which I am a part of. It adds pizzazz to the everyday monochrome look that I see everywhere. I don’t like the look of short sleeves under the vest, but 3/4 length sleeves or longer look polished.

• Hi Jean, Glad you enjoyed this post. I had a great response to it and I think the reason why is that many women are looking for something causal to wear besides a jacket or sweater. A faux fur vest is fun.I think the more streamlined ones look best. They can look quite chic worn with a soft, silky long sleeve blouse, skinny jeans and booties. Cheers! Deborah

3. Penelope Todd says:

Nope…Don’t like this look. It’s too 70’s with a hint of flintstones & cheapens an outfit…Ick.

4. I had two fur vests last year; a simple dark chocolate one, and a tan that reversed to a cotton. I wore them all the time. This year I decided to go a little more out there and have already made myself three; a cropped deep red/oxblood, a feathery fur w/a hint of light purple in places, and a “shag” but very soft brown fur tipped with beige. I don’t want to scare you, but I have been searching for a deep, rich, emerald green fabric for my next one!
    Thank you for posting about this trend. I believe it to be a very workable addition to a wardrobe.

5. Karin Fuller says:

I usually love the looks put together here but this one, I’ll skip. Fur vests, to me, have this gorilla suit feeling about them, more costume than fashion. I’ll leave the hairy chests to the men.

6. Love the outfits – chic and elegant! You should also check out our last fashion production with mature models – http://thedigitalage.net/forever-chic/

7. No, it looks like a bath mat!

8. Never ever would I consider wearing a faux fur vest. I think that is the epitome of “trying to hard”. I have a niece in high school and one in junior high; I seen both of them wearing faux fur vests and I really don’t think they look all that cute on them. Sorry.

9. Cathy Harvey says:

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but this trend looks utterly ridiculous on women over 40. The only way it could possibly look more ridiculous would be to pair it with leggings.

• Hi Cathy, Thanks for weighing in. I think you have to a more of a boho style to instantly take to this. I couldn’t see myself wearing a faux fur vest for the longest time, but now that I’ve seen some more subtle/refined versions in stores, I’ve been trying on a few one and may end up buying one.Sometimes it takes a while to warm up to something. On the other hand, if you know it’s definitely not for you, pass. You have to feel confident about wearing an item like this. There’s lots of other great looks out there to choose from.
      Cheers, Deborah

• Cathy Harvey says:

Deborah – thanks for publishing my comment. I really do like a lot of the suggestions made here but sometimes you must consider that old adage…..If you wore a really trendy style the first time it became popular (mini-skirts, jumpsuits, leggings, extremely full skirts, leather pants), perhaps you should rethink it before giving it a 2nd outing. Many times, you must actually view age inappropriate styles on another woman (in person) before you can see what a bad idea it really was.

• Hi Cathy, It’s such an individual thing. If women our age never wore anything because we had worn it years before, there would be nothing much to wear. Fashion repeats. I think you can wear many of the trends you’ve worn before, but just choose to wear them in a more flattering way at 40 and beyond. It has a lot to do with the way you style your outfits. Cheers! Deborah

10. Hi Deborah and Glam Gals! It never ceases to amaze me how wonderful some women look good in EVERYTHING they wear. JoBee looks great, good for her! Kudos to everyone for wearing the “faux” fur vests. Deborah, if I remember correctly, some commenters complained about the 5’10” super thin models. I completely agree. Deborah, please consider doing some of the modeling yourself, I am sure your faithful glam gals would be delighted, myself included!

11. I agree that a faux fur vest is not the exclusive province of the young, and all your suggestions for how to wear it are great, but I also think we need to be realistic about size for this one. A petite woman of age, yes. Someone my size (10/12) is going to look like a grizzly bear in this -not on my list of must try, sorry!

12. I love the look of the faux fur vest. I especially like JoBee’s! Great look and she looks amazing for being in her 70’s! Great post. Thanks.

Elaine

13. JoBee is totally stylin. She looks awesome for 75.

• Hi PS,
      Yes she sure is! She has kept updated with her hair, makeup, and wardrobe and is also in great shape! Moreover her attitude is progressive and youthful! All those things combined make for a younger appearance!

14. I’m so happy to have stumbled upon this blog! I love that faux fur vest, really stylish and affordable! You guys should check out an awesome boutique I recently discovered as well- http://www.kodiboutique.com. I’m hooked, plus their shipping is always free.

15. How do you feel about a fuzzier version like this one? Is it too bulky. I love the color.

16. I bought this vest today after seeing it here on your blog! I love it! Thank you for the inspiration.

Since I don’t look great in brown, I bought a baby blue knit turtleneck to go under the vest.

• Hi Julie, Great to hear and we think your baby blue turtleneck sounds perfect! We always like it when we hear our ladies are putting a little color in their wardrobe to spice it up!

17. I just wore my faux fur vest last Thursday- I got several compliments! Love it!

18. I am so excited to have found your blog!! It’s awesome!!!

19. So adorable!

• Louise Cook says:

I dislike them for various reasons. If they look fake, yuk, don’t like it. If it looks real, I REALLY don’t like it because that would lead people to believe I’m for killing animals for their skins.