Dear Deborah ,
I am a 49-year-old woman who lives in the Northeast, and while I do dress up occasionally for a dinner or evening out, 95% of the time I need to be dressed for getting in and out of a car, easily; for walking to and from places on a variety of sidewalks, and for a very casual everyday kind of life… often in challenging in autumn, winter and spring weather. I’m finding myself at a perimenopausal standstill! I have run out of creativity and I am sliding down the slippery slope of jeans, colorful t-shirts, fleece and turtlenecks. Yuck! I also have to wear comfortable shoes and boots to fit my aging feet. How do women like myself, who live casual lifestyles full of activity and creativity, help ourselves to feel, and look, attractive, in the most casual fashions in varying weather? Thank you again, Lori
Hi Lori, Your letter was so heartfelt we had to respond, not to mention your question is such a universal one! We too have seen our lifestyle change now that we are past 40 and casual wear is something we wear a lot! I live back east, so I understand your pain. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Do you have a cute vest?
- Try a sweater dress and some leggings and knee high or over the knee boots! Don’t feel like you have to wear pants all time. Why not snuggle into a sweater dress and feel more feminine and a little more funky!
- Put some color into your casual wardrobe. All those years of black can really drag a woman down now that our skin is not as vibrant as it once was.
- Start with an updated boot. I do not suggest Uggs, since they are so popular with the teenage crowd, they are just not age appropriate.
- Your overcoat can show your personality!
- Add a scarf.
- Go elegant… a long sweater is big this fall!