When I wrote about How to Wear Dresses when you have unattractive legs, a reader responded by asking, “What if you don’t like showing your legs at all? How do you cover up in summer?”
1. The obvious – wear pants. Not very original but totally do-able. Linen pants are a great standby in hot weather, keeping you cool and chic at the same time. Capri or ¾ length pants are really chic and show off a slim ankle without revealing the rest of the leg. Wear with a cute kitten heel to lengthen the leg even more. A shorter length colored jean worn with ankle boots, so there is about an inch of flesh on show, is a fabulous way to be totally on trend if it’s not yet in the 90’s.
2. Try a midi or maxi dress. I’ve only just succumbed, and I’m already hooked. Midi length is fabulous for petites and for those of you who want to show off your amazing ankles. Wear with flat shoes, flip-flops or a small heel. They never look quite right with a towering stiletto.
3. Thanks to Kate Middleton, we can now all wear ten denier flesh colored tights without feeling 103 years old. Some even have the added advantage of control panels, so your tum, bum, thighs are streamlined too. Choose toe-less if you want to wear sandals. You could even go the fishnet route, as they are cooler to wear in hot weather.
4. Leggings. These cover a multitude of sins. Wear them under tunics and dresses as an alternative to tights. Adjust the bottom hem, so they look good on your legs. Some women look better with them worn nearer to the knee, others nearer the ankles.
5. Divert attention. The oldest trick in the book but it works. Move the focus upwards by wearing a fabulous hat, bright lipstick, dramatic jewelry, a must-have scarf. Your legs won’t even be noticed!
Like to learn more? Sue Donnelly www.suedonnelly.com Style for your Soul, Spirit and Silhouette
P.S. Don’t like showing your arms either? Here is a great solution- pretty maxi dresses with long sleeves.