I’m invited to a Bar Mitzvah celebration and I’m stumped on what to wear! It will be an evening occasion. They are very good friends/neighbors, and I don’t wish to be under dressed or over dressed. I’d like to wear something that will be useful for other occasions; I consider “one-time” use dresses impractical and a waste. Can you help? Thanks so much!
Great to hear from you! I thought your question about what to wear to a bar mitzvah party was a good one because many of us find ourselves in the same boat when it comes to special occasion wear. Here are a few ideas.
A Timeless Cocktail Dress
A Bar Mitzvah is a dressy occasion much like a party or wedding, and many women wear dresses that have a lot of glitz and glam. If you are looking for a cocktail dress that is more practical and won’t date, then you can never go wrong with a little black dress. Here’s a lovely LBD with sheer sleeves that would work well.
A Day to Evening Dress
If you are looking for something even more practical that can be worn day or night, then a beautiful sheath in a rich color would be lovely. I like this because:
- This dress is very classic, but the satin detail at the neckline makes it modern and perfect for a party.
- This muted wine color is elegant and regal. It could work with nude, gold or silver accessories.
- It’s fairly plain for daytime, but you can dress it up with bold, classic jewelry for the Bar Mitzvah to finish off the look.
- These strappy, glittery pumps dress things up and are flirty, feminine and festive!
- This structured, sparkly clutch pulls the entire outfit together
You could wear your hair either up or down with this dress, and for makeup, play up your eyes with some dark liner and smokey shadow. A swipe of rich burgundy lipstick will complete the look.
As for a wrap, you could wear a pashmina. When wearing it to work, a black jacket and black leather pumps will dress it down. If you have a more creative office environment or are going out for dinner, this dress would look fabulous with a pair of leopard pumps and nude hose!
For any of you ladies who want to go the full party route, here are a few fancier dresses that are trending now.
Glitzy Cocktail Dress
Classic Lace Evening Dress
Ladies, what would you wear to a party like this? Please add your own ideas for what to wear to a bar mitzvah reception below!