My family has been invited to a bar mitzvah celebration in a few weeks, and I’m absolutely stumped on what to wear! It will be an evening occasion. They are very good friends/neighbors, and I don’t wish to be under dressed or over dressed. It is my preference that the outfit will be something that would be useful for other occasions; I consider “one time” use dresses impractical and a waste. Please send some ideas!
About me: I will be 40 next spring and a happily married mother of a teen and a toddler. I’m 5′ tall, 104 lbs, my hair and eyes are dark brown, though my complexion is quite light (on the olive side). I’m a winter and enjoy shopping at Ann Taylor, Nordstrom, and some Brooks Brothers.
Thanks so much! Mary
Great to hear from you! I thought your question was a good one and I like how you approached your dilemma on what to wear to a Bar Mitzvah. Let’s take a look at how to get started:
- Thinking about how you want to be perceived before shopping…(not too dressy or underdressed) is a great starting point.
- Your idea of finding an outfit that will be multi-purpose is both smart and practical!
- Sticking to your Winter Color palette will ensure you will look amazing!
This is the outfit we would pick for you and why:
- I think this form fitted dress will show off your cute figure and can be dressed up or down
- This is a “cool” red which is in your winter color palate. It looks best with silver accessories.
- I chose bold, classic jewelry that will keep the attention on the dress and finish off the look.
- These pumps dress things up and are flirty, feminine and festive! Because you are petite the platform will give you some height too!
- This little black clutch with the touch of silver on the clasp, pulls the entire outfit together
- Black sheer hose will look best with this outfit.
You see, when you stick to collecting items that are in a specific color palette , then all your clothes, shoes and accessories will be coordinated and you will have a larger wardrobe with fewer pieces.
You could wear your hair either up or down with this dress and for make up, play up your eyes with some dark liner and smokey shadow. A swipe of rich burgundy lipstick slightly lighter than the color of your dress will complete the look.
As for a wrap, you could wear a pashmina or short black cardigan. When wearing it to work, a black jacket and black leather pumps will dress it down. If you have a more creative office environment or are going out for dinner, this dress would look fabulous with a pair of leopard pumps and nude hose!
Ladies, what would you wear to a party like this? Please add your comment below!