I know that I have too many clothes in my closet, and I want to get rid of some of them. I am still the same size as I was over ten years ago and just can’t bring myself to let go of some of my classic pieces. How long should I keep a dress or outfit before getting rid of it?
Gaye M.~Sarasota, Florida
There is no hard or fast rule about how long to keep something. Some items do become dated looking over time, and some never seem to go out of style and can be worn year after year as long as they hold up. Keep in mind that:
- Classic pieces with clean, simple lines will stay in style longer.
- Many designer brands are expensive because they are well made. Look for items that have quality fabric and workmanship and it should last for at least 6-8 years or more,
- You can update older clothes with updated shoes and accessories.
- Trendy items should be eliminated as soon as you feel they look dated.
- Just because an item fits does not mean that you should keep it. It should be in good shape and still be a classic style.
Here is Tracy Elliman, a business development manager in a classic Jackie O style shift dress. It is timeless and pretty. This dress has been one of her favorite classic “go to” pieces that she has worn over and over. It’s great to have a piece in your wardrobe that is still stylish after a few years and works well for so many different types of events.
In this photo, Tracy was at a networking event. What a versatile dress and such a fun print too!
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.