If you’re invited to a cocktail party, dinner party, or open house this holiday season, one of the things you’ll think about, other than what to wear, is what to bring as a hostess gift. Make a good impression by keeping these hostess gift basics in mind:
- Think ahead and purchase hostess gifts when you see them. I like to keep a small stash of lovely gifts at the ready.
- Bring a gift they can use at this party or at future parties
- Wrap your gift or put it in a nice gift bag.
- Wait to the last-minute. There is nothing worse than scrambling at the last-minute to try to find something – anything! – that will do
- Bring cut flowers. Your hostess will likely have her hands full and finding a vase and arranging flowers is just one more thing to do
- Break the bank. Gift something too elaborate, and you risk embarrassing your hostess
- Bring live animals. I’m not kidding. A friend of mine once received a gold-fish as a hostess gift.
Here are some lovely options in a variety of price points that any hostess would love. (Tip! I won’t tell if you pick one up for yourself too while you’re shopping.)