Are big baggy sweaters and loose sloppy pants making you look old and frumpy? Go the mirror now. Take a good look. Be honest. Baggy, poorly fitted clothes are a big problem after 40.
I know, you’ve gained a few pounds, you don’t feel really good about your body and you cover up- big time. But you are not fooling anyone!
Big baggy clothes will not make you look slimmer. They will make you look heavier- much heavier than you really are and they make you look frumpy as frumpy can be!
Case in point. Look at the problem with this outfit below. The sweater is too heavy and baggy, the skirt too long and loose- rather dowdy wouldn’t you say, but look what happens when we put her into this other outfit…. a slimmer fitted sweater with a more open neckline, shorter skirt with nice pencil style skirt. Viola- absolute difference.
Lesson here is poor fit = frumpy.
Embrace the body you are in now and wear clothes that skim your silhouette no matter what your size. Not too tight, not too loose- but just right.
Take your clothes in- men do it all the time but we feel we have to buy off the rack. We give you permission to take something in, or throw it out and start all over. Dump the frump and get the right fit!
Here are some things to think about when you are trying to get the right fit:
1. Sleeves on jackets should just cover your wrist bones when you hang your arms down at your sides.
2. Shoulders of a jacket should sit perfectly straight on the shoulders with no drag or pull to one side.
3. A jacket should not cling or be snug across the back – no horizontal lines across the back or it is too tight.
4. Skirts lengths should be at the knee or up to 2″ above the knee if you have great legs.
5. Side seams on skirts or pants should lie flat and hang straight from the waist.
6. The rise is the key fit area on pants. Make sure the crotch is not too low or you will look short, too high and it is distasteful.
7. The hem of your pants should touch your instep in front and gently slopes back down covering half of your heel
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.