I had a client recently email me in a panic… She had been asked to give a speech to a group of business women, but had no plan for what to buy and was on a strict budget.
Here’s the advice I gave her:
- Find a jacket that fits your body type! (She happens to be tall, so I told her nothing too boxy and make sure that the bottom of the jacket did NOT hit her at the widest part!)
- Pick a subtle color. If she wants to get a lot of use out of her new outfit, it needs to be neutral in color. Anything too bold or patterned could only be worn a few times.
- Buy a scarf! If you pick a jacket that you don’t need to buy a blouse for, you can just tuck a scarf in and be done with it. Just wear the jacket buttoned or zipped up , and if need be, add a simple scarf and off you go!
- Save money for some new shoes. The bottom line is you need to look good from top to bottom. I told her a nice pair of short boots (found at a shoe discount store) would look best if she was wearing pants. If you like to wear skirts, then some simple pumps will do for either pants or skirts.
Armed with these clear guidelines, she went to her local department store and found a long grey paisley jacket and co-ordinating grey pants. She also found a black scarf to wear tied at the neck with the jacket closed. Then she bought a pair of simple black boots to help her look the part!
I’ve come up with some great tips to get your wardrobe looking terrific without having to spend a fortune. You’ll find some below and more in my ebook: Chic on the Cheap- Tips and Tricks to Look Wow on a Budget!
1. Start with a budget. Have you noticed that when you go shopping and pick up a new t-shirt, random blouse or shoes here and there it eats up your budget FAST?? Instead, start with a plan and stick to it! If you need to replace your work suit, then go and find it, don’t get distracted!!!
2. Shop at the better stores. RIGHT now is the time to shop at the good stores (Nordstrom Neiman Marcus). If you do your homework you will see that these stores are selling gorgeous well-made items at a fraction of the original cost. BUT BEWARE – this will mean, picking through a lot of “stuff”… don’t get tempted to just buy random pieces. Make sure what you buy will make an entire outfit!!!
3. Pick a color theme and stick to it. Pick your neutral and build your wardrobe with it. For example, if you like chocolate brown, than pick all the colors in your blouses, shoes, accessories, need to go with it. Then all your pieces will go together. If you like black, then all your accessories should have some black in it.
4. Shop in your own closet first and make a list of what you need to update. This is one of the biggest steps woman fail to do. We just don’t take the time to see what they already have!!! Take an hour and go in your closet and try everything on. Have fun, making new outfits, and making a list of what you need to replace or add too to make entire outfits!! You might think you don’t have anything to wear, and be pleasantly surprised once you get going!
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.