Getting rid of your old clothes is a great feeling, but in order to be able to do it, you have to have the right mind-set. You need to give yourself permission to let go.
This isn’t always easy.
Often we’ve spent a lot of money on a piece of clothing and we feel very guilty about giving it away. Other times we feel we need to hold onto something for sentimental reasons. There are many complicated reasons we buy clothes and never wear them.
But the truth is there are probably are not enough days in the year to wear all the jeans, t-shirts and do I dare mention… SHOES that you are holding onto.
Do you really need to keep a bunch of mediocre things that you bought on sale hanging in your closet just because they were just a good deal? Isn’t it a waste to have a drawers full of clothes you used to love but now never wear?
It’s time to rid yourself of junk in your closets and drawers and make room for just a few gorgeous, yummy, fun things!
So here’s your weekend challenge: Go to your closet and clean it out!
- Make your closet clean-our your focus for the entire day. It’s easy to get distracted. This job takes mental effort to stay on track. Give yourself a deadline to get the job done.
- If you have nice things you are not wearing, give them to a friend in need, to a charity or have a clothing swap party with some girlfriends. Whatever isn’t swapped goes to The Battere Women’s Shelter. When you know your clothes are going to a good home, it’s easier to part with them.
- If something is in need of repair do not put it back in your closet. It goes in the repair pile or throw away pile.
- Need some extra cash? Try putting old clothes up on e-bay or taking them to a consignment store. Do it at the end of the day so you can’t change your mind about anything.
- Know that if your closet is so cluttered with clothes, it’s going to be hard to shop. You won’t really know what you need and you will make foolish, impulsive purchases. A tidy closet helps you know what you have and what you need. Make a list and stick to it!
- Want more tips? Pick up a copy of my popular ebook: Chic on the Cheap: How to build a Wow Wardrobe on a Budget. It’s full of ideas on how to organize your closet, and where to sell/giveaway the stuff you don’t wear without feeling guilty.