I am so glad I found your wonderful website. I have a question that relates to what is “age-appropriate”.
I am 43 and very petite. I am in love with a trendy jacket , although I usually stay away from trends. The jacket I am talking about is the military jacket.
My only concern is the age-appropriate perception of this jacket due to the adornment? My idea would be to wear it with some nice fitted jeans, a simple white top underneath and simple sleek black or metallic heels. No excessive accessories. I have tried the jacket on and it fits beautifully.
Your thoughts on the age-appropriateness of this ensemble is greatly appreciated! Sincerely, Gail
This is part of the utilitarian trend that is so popular at the moment. Let’s look at the pros and cons of this piece.
- You love it
- It’s a statement piece that expresses your personality
- You have ideas about what to wear it with
- It’s age appropriate*
- Since it has a lot of adornment and is a statement piece, you might get as much wear out of it as you like – not practical
- It’s expensive if you are on a limited budget
- It is age appropriate, but it is almost costume-like so you would really have to be in a funky, fun job or live in a very cosmopolitan city to wear it and look like you fit in.
Another option is to put your money towards a high quality coat that is still fun, but has more lasting power.
This cute military coat by Tory Burch has big brass buttons, but is more subtle than the other jacket and more practical too. Still, I don’t think it is anywhere near boring. It’s a classic. Good luck deciding.
If you want to see some more Military jacket options check out my post on The Utilitarian trend.