If you are short with a pear-shaped body, you can easily look bottom heavy. Meet Debbie who has this problem and emailed me for help.
I am 5’2″ and weigh 120. I’m not heavy, and I work out, so I have a nice looking caboose. The problem is that when I wear tops untucked, they don’t lay right. My top is smaller than my bottom. Help!
Hi Debbie, It sounds like you have a short-medium build and are pear-shaped – hence the reason you have some problem with things untucked. Your shirts are probably fitting fine across the bust, but as they reach your curvy hips and rounded bottom, they splay out and don’t sit right.
You don’t want to go with the larger top because then it will be too loose up top, so I suggest if you are going to tuck out, which is a good thing, buy tops with some stretch in them so that you can get them over the top of your hips. You could also try empire waist tops which fall gently down around the hips. A stiff, fitted cotton shirt, for example, won’t ever sit right. One note- your top should never end at the widest part of your body- your hips- better it ends above if you are short. This will make your legs look longer.
As a short pear, you can easily look bottom heavy, so your fashion challenge is to make your shoulders look wider to match your hips and balance your figure. Balancing your figure will also make you look taller. You can balance a short, pear-shaped figure by wearing:
- wide scoop neck tops or v-neck tops that open up your neckline and put the focus up top
- tops and jackets with shoulder detail
- detail around the collar to draw the eye upwards
- medium size earrings and eye-catching chunky necklaces
- shorter hem lengths to show off your legs and move the attention away from your hips
- dark-colored bottoms and lighter or brightly colored tops to attract the eye up.
- pencil skirts or A-line skirts that gently flare out over your hips
- high-waisted straight leg pants to make your torso seem shorter and your legs look longer.
Are you starting to get a better understanding of the styles of clothing will work best for your body type? To find out more check out My Private Stylist. It’s a cool computerized fashion tool that pinpoints your unique body shape and reveals the styles you need to wear to flatter your figure and make you look fabulous!