A reader wrote me recently about a figure challenge…..
Here is my question. I am 5 foot, 2 inches and weigh about 120. I am not heavy but have a problem knowing what to wear. I do work out, so I do have a nice looking caboose, but when I wear things untucked they just don’t seem to lie right. My top is smaller than my bottom. I just have a hard time picking out anything I think I look good in. Help!!!
Hi Debbie, It sounds like you have a short-medium build and are pear-shaped – hence the reason you have some problem with things untucked.
Your shirts are probably fitting fine across the bust, but as they reach your curvy hips and rounded bottom, they splay out and don’t sit right.
You don’t want to go with the bigger top because then it will be too loose up top, so I suggest if you are going to tuck out, which is a good thing, buy tops with some stretch in them, so you can get them over the top of your hips. You could also try empire waist tops which falls gently down around the hips. A stiff, fitted cotton shirt, for example, won’t ever sit right. One note- your top should never end at the widest part of your body- your hips- better it end above or below.
As a short pear, you can easily look bottom heavy, so your fashion challenge is to make your shoulders look wider to match your hips and balance your figure. Balancing your figure will also make you look taller. You can do this by wearing:
- wide scoop neck tops or v- neck tops that open up your neckline and put the focus up top
- tops and jackets with shoulder detail
- detail around the collar to draw the eye upwards
- medium size earrings and eyecatching chunky necklaces
- shorter hem lengths to show off your legs and move the attention aways from your hips
- dark colored bottoms and lighter or brightly colored tops to attract the eye up.
- pencil skirts or A-line skirts that gently flare out over your hips
- high-waisted straight leg pants to make your torso appear shorter and your legs appear longer.
Are you starting to get a better understanding of the styles of clothing will work best for your body type? To find out more check out My Private Stylist. It’s a cool new computerized fashion tool that pinpoints your unique body shape and reveals the styles you need to wear to flatter your figure and make you look fabulous!
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.