Nothing is sexier than a shapely pencil skirt that hugs your hips and bottom and says, “Yes, I’m a woman.” A pencil skirt can be your secret weapon if you want to walk into a room and look and feel powerful. Now, before you start moaning and groaning that it is impossible to wear a pencil skirt unless you are as skinny as a pencil, listen up!
There are ways to wear a pencil skirt even if you have a softer, rounder, more mature body. Start With Shapewear
Whether you are 1) fairly slim but have a bit of a midlife middle or 2) you are a round and curvy gal, a little shapewear goes a long way. If you want to wear a top tucked into your pencil skirt, just go out and buy yourself some Spanx. Shapewear works like a girdle but is light as pantyhose. It firms your tummy, but it’s very comfortable. It will make a huge difference.
Try a Wrap Top
If you prefer to tuck out, then a wrap top or a fitted top with some stretch and ruching works well to camouflage the tummy.
A Sweater Can Help
If you’ve tried Spanx but there’s still a little more of a belly bulge than you’d like, try wearing a vest or sweater tucked out. Then add a big scarf, necklace or earrings up top to draw the attention up to your face. Make sure you sweater has shape. If it is just big and baggy, you will look sloppy. It should narrow in a bit give you that waist definition that is so important when you wear a pencil skirt.
A Cute Jacket Will Camouflage
If you are top-heavy in the chest and tummy, try tucking out and wear a cute jacket overtop.
Other Ways to Look Slim in a Pencil Skirt ….
- Make sure your skirt doesn’t pull or pucker. Buy a skirt that fits your hips and then take it in at the waist to get the perfect fit.
- If you are a very curvaceous hourglass then just make sure that once past your hips your pencil skirt doesn’t taper too much towards the knees. This can make you look off balance. If you are top
- Stay away from pencil skirts with detail at the waist such as buttons, pockets, gathering, trim. If you are a midlife mama with a jelly belly, these things will add bulk and make you look heavy.
- A dark pencil skirt is always more slimming than a light, bright or patterned one.
- Pencil skirts with vertical lines like stripes, a slit or long zipper draw the eye up and down and make you look long and lean.
- A pencil skirts with dark color-blocked panels at the side shaves off inches.
- A pencil skirt with a flared bottom or pleated bottom works wonders to draw eyes down to your pretty hemline and legs which mean you don’t have to feel self-conscious about your not so perfect middle.
Petites and the Pencil Skirt
What if you are short? Most pencil skirts end at the knee. You will want to show a little more leg to make your legs look longer so you can go a couple of inches above the knee.
Do you wear pencil skirts? What are your tricks for getting a great look?
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.