When it comes to feeling snug and stylish, nothing beats slipping into a luxurious cashmere sweater. These cozy beauties have always been the epitome of chic, the ultimate wardrobe must-have, and one of my favorite things to wear!
Today, I’m sharing all you need to know about cashmere sweaters: what makes them special, how to style them, and how to care for them so they always look fab. Check out these 7 gorgeous cashmere sweaters I’ve rounded up that are definitely worth the splurge.
Is a Cashmere Sweater Worth It?
The cashmere sweaters I’m sharing today range from $169- $298, but yes, they are worth it. Cashmere sweaters are like a warm hug that also happens to make you look chic. They’re incredibly soft, comfy, and versatile. They’re a classy wardrobe anchor you’ll have for years. Yes, they cost more than your average knitwear, but the mileage you get from a high-quality cashmere piece is worth every penny.
This pink one, below, is from Ann Taylor. Not only is it excellent quality, but the stunning color and the modern shape make it one gorgeous-looking piece, even when you wear it with something as simple as jeans.
Shop the look
What Makes Cashmere So Special?
Cashmere sweaters are the crème de la crème for a reason. The fibers come from the underbelly of cashmere goats that thrive in the toughest terrains, and here’s what sets it apart:
- Softness Supreme: Cashmere is the softest natural fiber on the planet. Wearing a cashmere sweater feels like a warm hug from the heavens.
- Warmth Without Bulk: Despite being feather-light, cashmere is a brilliant insulator, keeping you cozy without making you look like the Michelin Man.
- Breathable Brilliance: Cashmere is like your personal climate control system. It keeps you warm when it’s cold and cool when it’s hot.
- Unparalleled Luxury: Cashmere’s shimmer and smooth texture exude pure sophistication, elevating your style game from casual to chic.
- Built to Last: Quality cashmere is tough and built to withstand the test of time. With some TLC, it can become a cherished heirloom piece.
shop the look
Why Is Cashmere Expensive?
The high price tag of cashmere is mainly due to a lack of supply. Most of the goats are in Mongolia, plus there are few goats and fur. Also the fur has to be meticulously harvested to get the good bits, and it takes real craftsmanship to hand-knit or weave cashmere. Scarcity and quality make cashmere a luxury fiber and justifies the price.
Just look at this stunning wrap-style cashmere sweater. It oozes quality and sophistication. This classic piece will always turn heads and knock’ them dead!
How Can You Tell Real Cashmere?
Don’t get duped by imposters! You can spot the real deal by the touch and feel. It should be incredibly soft and silky.
Also, be sure to check the label. Legit cashmere often says “100% Mongolian Cashmere.” Finally, if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. Real cashmere is an investment; if it’s dirt cheap, it’s probably a counterfeit.
shop the look
Budget-Friendly Cashmere Sweaters
In between very expensive and fake are some very good medium-priced and budget-friendly cashmere sweaters. Often, the difference is in the length of the hair and the thickness of the sweaters, Talbots has some beautiful cashmere at reasonable prices. I recently noticed this one with the print, which I thought was unique. It’s lightweight but warm, soft, and so pretty!
Mott and Bow also have some great, affordable cashmere sweaters. I’ve been wearing this ivory one lately with jeans, and it’s quite lovely for an elevated casual look. They also have it in black, regular, or slightly oversized. I find Mott and Bow has some great quality basics. Quince is famous for their cashmere at very low prices because they cut out the middle man.
You can also get cashmere-like sweaters, like this rich burgundy one. It’s 30% cashmere and 70% wool, so it’s warmer. I love the modern look and think it’s a fabulous find!
Shop the look
Care of Cashmere – Does Cashmere Pill?
Pilling, those pesky little fuzz balls on your sweater, happens, but it depends on the quality of your cashmere and how you treat it. To fend off pilling:
- Choose premium cashmere made from long, fine fibers, which are less prone to pilling.
- Don’t wear the same cashmere sweater every day; give it some breathing room to recover.
- Hand wash Machine washing is rough and causes pilling.
- Fold, don’t hang your cashmere sweaters; store them in a cool, dry place. Hanging leads to unwanted stretching.
- Use a Fabric Shaver to remove fuzz balls gently. But go easy with your sweater intact!
shop the look
Can You Wash a Cashmere Sweater?
Yes, you can, but you must be gentle.
- Hand Wash It: Fill a basin with cool water, add a mild detergent, and give it a gentle swish to create suds.
- Soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Agitate with Care: Gently press the sweater up and down to avoid stretching or twisting the fabric. No roughhousing here!
- Rinse suds thoroughly with fresh, cool water.
- Gently squeeze, don’t twist out excess water, and lay your cashmere flat to dry. No wringing or stretching allowed!
- Don’t put it in the dryer! (I’ve made that mistake, and you get a tiny, shrunken mess!)
How to Style a Cashmere Sweater?
As you’ve seen with these outfits that I’ve put together, there are many gorgeous styles of cashmere sweaters to choose from this season, and how you style them is as unique as the sweater. Generally, any kind of cashmere sweater elevates a pair of pants from the most faded jeans to the dressiest black pants.
Cashmere sweaters can be worn anywhere from work to weekends and dressy events. They’re especially lovely for romantic date nights because this alluring knit is so soft and fuzzy it invites touch.
Cashmere sweaters aren’t limited to pants. They also look gorgeous with skirts. One of the loveliest ways to wear cashmere is with silk, including a silk skirt. I recently bought this flowy silk print skirt and wore it with this bright red cashmere sweater to the LTK conference. Not only was it super comfy but it looked chic. That elegant mix of silk and kitten-like cashmere is always so rich and classy.
Where to Buy Cashmere Sweaters?
I’ve highlighted a few great places to buy cashmere, but there are many more. Cashmere is always available, but I think this year even more so with the trend towards “Quiet Luxury.” Some of the best cashmere can be found at
*Quince (very affordable)
Cashmere sweaters are luxurious and chic and won’t let you down. They’re a fashion-forever friend when you want to look chic at 40, 50, 60, and beyond! To shop these looks, click the links above.