Polka dots are trending and they’re cuter than ever. This time around they’re not your average dots! Fashion favorite print has a chic new look. The latest round of polka dots include:
New Trends in Polka Dots Fashion
- Oversized Dots: large, exaggerated dots are dramatic
- Irregular Shaped Dots: softer, slightly jagged dots are modern
- Unique Patterns: irregular dot patterns and spacing of dots
- Textured, raised dots
- Metallic dots: gold or silver
- Colorful Dots: like the rainbow
- Colorblocked Dots: A concentration of dots in one spot for figure emphasis.
Tips for Wearing Polka Dots
Polka dots are a classic print but can look juvenile at times, so if you are wondering how to wear polka dots, here are some things to consider.
1. Choose Unfussy Dotted Clothing
The less fussy your dotted clothing, the chicer you will look. Modern polka dot clothing has clean lines and little detail. These look more sophisticated than layered, frilly pieces that are busy and girly.
2. Don’t Go Crazy with Too Many Dots
Too many dots can get crazy/busy and make you look a confusing mess if you don’t know what you are doing, so best to keep it simple.
This woman above has the right idea. White and red polka dots pants look clean and fresh when worn with a neutral top. The plain colored top balances out the pants and makes her look playful but not kiddish. See how the pants take center stage?
If you want to combine dots head to toe, choose two different size dots in drastically different sizes, but no more. Polka dots with stripes in the same color can also work well for creative types.
3. Play with the Size of Your Dots
Some say bigger dots belong on bigger frames and smaller dots belong on smaller frames. This is true to a point, but personality also comes into play.
4. Wear Dotted Accessories
Dots are elegant and less loud when worn as accessories. A black dress with a black and white polka dot bag is easy for anyone to wear.
5. Try Different Colored Dots
High contrast black and white dots are bolder and more dramatic than low contrast taupe and white polka dots. If your coloring is fair, it is easier to wear low contrast dots that don’t overpower.
What do you think of the polka dots? Here how these 40+ bloggers style polka dot clothes.