I love your website and want to know if colored jeans are appropriate for a fifty-something woman? I find that bright, skinny jeans hard to wear unless you’re a size two. Also, I love color but I’m not sure if colored jeans scream “desperately clinging to youth”, or if they look chic and current? Can I wear colored jeans, and how do I pull off this look?
If you want to wear colored jeans, I really think you should give them a try. Many women our age assume they’re just for young, skinny models, when in fact they can look great on women 40+ too. Colored jeans add a touch of fun to your wardrobe and will make you look sporty, relaxed, and modern.
To wear them well you need to:
- find the right pair of colored jeans to suit your body type
- know what to wear your colored jeans with
- be confident
Let’s take a look:
WILL COLORED JEANS MAKE YOU LOOK FAT?
Do you worry that colored jeans are so bright they’ll make you look heavy? The photos in the magazines don’t always match up to reality. It’s true that red colored jeans, for example, can be like a stop sign, drawing attention to your bottom half, even if you are slim. So how can you wear them and feel good?
Try these tricks to look slim and feel confident in colored jeans:
1.Wear A Darker Shade: Darker colors have become popular for good reason. A darker red, like oxblood (brown-red), is more slimming than bright cherry red, making colored jeans much easier to wear.
2. Try a Straight leg or Bootcut: Skinny jeans are tougher to wear if you carry weight in your hips and thighs. In this case, try wearing a straight leg or skinny leg colored jean. The slight flare leg helps balance out your hips and thighs. See what I mean here.
3. Buy Colored Jeans with built-in Stretch: Remember that a little stretch goes a long way towards making your figure look fab.
4. Control the Amount of Color Shown: Wear a tunic or long top that ends below the widest part of your body, so you see less of the jeans. Don’t tuck in as it will emphasize your bottom half.
5. Go Monochromatic: If you wear a top in the same color or a similar color as your jeans, you create long, continuous slimming brushstroke of color.
How to Wear Colored Jeans so they are in Sync with Your Style Personality
Pair colored Jeans with:
1. Neutrals For a Sophisticated Look: Keep thing classy by toning things down. Add a neutral top or jacket in ivory, brown, black, gray or navy to colored jean. More photos of these jeans here.
2. Contrasting Colors for a Fun Look
If you like a more bold, playful look, you can color block your outfit by wearing colored jeans with a contrasting colored top. Ie: red jeans with a yellow top. Note: you need confidence pull this look off, or you will look like a clown. Don’t force it. Here are some example of colored jeans and colored tops styled well.
3. A Boyfriend Jacket for a Cool Look
Find a boyfriend jacket with turned sleeves in a neutral color and pair it with colored jeans + a white or cream top for an elegant look.
4. Animal Print for a Hint of Sexy
This is my favorite – a neutral leopard print blouse over orange skinny colored jeans with ballet flats. So chic!
5. Stripes for a Sporty Look
A blue and white striped top with colored jeans looks modern and sporty. If you are wide across the chest and stomach, add a cute jacket.
6. Chambray Shirt + Colored Jeans = Laid back Look
A soft chambray shirt + red jeans is a popular look.
7. Showstopping Accessories for a Dramatic Look
Pair colored jeans with a neutral top and big, dazzling statement jewelry for a look- at- me outfit that will make heads turn.
Now, take a look at How my readers wear their colored jeans and watch my video on how to wear colored denim jeans for women.
Here are some colored jeans in stores right now.