I love your website and want to know if colored jeans are appropriate? I find that bright skinny jeans in red, yellow and blue are hard for us fabulous fifty-somethings to wear unless you’re a size two. I love color, but I’m not sure if colored jeans scream ‘desperately clinging to youth’, or look chic and current. Can I wear them and how do I pull off this look?
It’s easy to dismiss this trend as only for young, skinny celebs, when, in fact, colored jeans can be worn at any age. When they first came out a few years ago we saw a lot of bold, in your face colors. Michelle Obama was photographed in a pair of electric blue ones.
These days bright denim is still in, but darker, more muted shades reign. Looking great in colored jeans depends on three things:
- finding the right pair of colored jeans for your body type
- your confidence level
- what you wear with colored jeans
Worn right, colored jeans look fabulous after 40, and give off a modern, fun vibe. Here’s how to make wearing colored jeans easy.
The Dream vs. Reality
Let’s be honest. Many women are nervous to try colored jeans because they fear they will look fat. Colored jeans often look one way in magazines, but very different on the average woman. Red colored jeans for women can be especially bright. They’re like a stop sign that draws attention to your bottom half, even if you are slim. So how can you wear them and feel good?
Try these tricks to look slim and feel confident in colored jeans:
1.Wear A Darker Shade: Darker colors have become popular for good reason. A darker red, like oxblood (brown-red), is more slimming than bright cherry red, making colored jeans much easier to wear.
2. Try a Straight leg or Bootcut: Skinny jeans are tougher to wear if you carry weight in your hips and thighs. In this case, try wearing a straight leg or skinny leg colored jean. The slight flare leg helps balance out your hips and thighs.
3. Go for Stretch: Remember that a little stretch goes a long way towards making your figure look fab. These Olive jeans have plenty of stretch..
4. Control the Amount of Color Shown: Wear a tunic or long top that ends below the widest part of your body so less of the jean shows. Don’t tuck in as it will emphasize your bottom half.
5. Go Monochromatic: If you wear a top in the same color or a similar color as your jeans, you create long, continuous slimming brushstroke of color.
Interesting Ways to Style Colored Jeans
1. Get a Sophisticated Look: Keep thing classy by toning things down. Add a neutral top or jacket in ivory, brown, black, gray or navy to colored jean. More photos of these jeans here.
Style it Bold
If you like a more bold, playful look, you can color block your outfit by wearing colored jeans with a contrasting colored top. Ie: red jeans with a yellow top. Note: you need confidence pull this look off, or you will look like a clown. Don’t force it.
3. Look Cool in a Boyfriend Jacket
Find a boyfriend jacket with turned sleeves in a neutral color and pair it with colored jeans + a white or cream top for an elegant look.
4. Colored Jeans + Animal Prints
This is my favorite – a neutral leopard print blouse over orange skinny colored jeans with ballet flats. So chic!
5. Stripes Paired With Colored Jeans
A blue and white striped top with colored jeans looks modern and sporty. If you are wide across the chest and stomach, add a cute jacket.
6. Chambray Shirt + Colored Jeans
A soft chambray shirt + red jeans is a popular look.
7. Jeans + Showstopping Accessories
Pair colored jeans with a neutral top and a touch of animal print. The purse or the shoes are enough, but not both! Leopard adds a sexy vibe. Go easy.
Now, take a look at How my readers wear their colored jeans
and watch my video on how to wear colored denim jeans for women.