There’s nothing comfier than a sweatshirt. The only problem is that many can make you look frumpy. Thank goodness that’s changing thanks to a new crop of sweatshirts that mix comfort with cool! Take a look.
Gone is that ugly varsity number from your college days or some oversized monstrosity with a hood. The new sweatshirt in town is surprisingly chic. For example, this pretty blush sweatshirt (above) is fitted but not tight, and the lace-up sides make it hip and fashionable.
Sweatshirts with bell sleeves, front tie-ups, lacing, embroidery, sequins, off-the-shoulder detail, and even ruffles are also having a moment. Keep these things in mind when finding the right sweatshirt for you:
- Pick a sweatshirt in a sophisticated shade to avoid looking schlubby.
- Choose a sweatshirt that is streamlined through the sides rather than bulky like a traditional sweatshirt.
- Keep any embellishments on the sweatshirt to a minimum. Just a touch is all you need.
- Pair a relaxed sweatshirt with something more fitted. Try wearing one of these luxe sweatshirts with skinny jeans or leather leggings for a more casual look, or dress up your sweatshirt with slim-cut pants or even a pencil skirt.
- Don’t tuck in your sweatshirt, even if it is more streamlined. It will only make you look bulky across the middle.
- If you are bottom-heavy, stay away from a tight band at the bottom and go for a loose hem. You could even try wearing your relaxed wide-necked sweatshirt slightly off-kilter, to one side, to take the emphasis off the straight line right across your lower tummy.
- Counter the casual nature of a sweatshirt with some fab jewelry. A bold necklace, multiple bracelets/watch, or a dangly pair of earrings are the perfect icing on the cake!
- Choose the right footwear. Sweatshirts are sporty, but no bulky running shoes, please. Ankle booties are the perfect medium between casual and dressy, making them a natural pairing to your sporty-glam sweatshirt! Dressy flats fit the bill, too, or even a low wedge can look nice if heels aren’t your thing.
- Finish off your outfit with a statement bag! Pick something big and tailored in a complementary color to your outfit. A great tote works so does an oversize clutch.
- Add a dash of lipstick, and you’re ready to go!
The newest sweatshirts are the perfect mix of comfort and glam. This is a trend that looks and feels fab at any age.