There’s nothing comfier than a sweatshirt. The only problem is that many can make you look frumpy. Thank goodness that’s changing thanks to a new crop of sweatshirts that mix comfort with cool! Take a look.
Gone is that ugly varsity number from your college days or some oversized monstrosity with a hood. The new sweatshirt in town is surprisingly chic. For example, this pretty blush sweatshirt (above) is fitted but not tight, and the lace up sides make it hip and fashionable.
Sweatshirts with bell sleeves, front tie ups, lacing, embroidery, sequins, off the shoulder detail, and even ruffles are also having a moment. Keep these things in mind when finding the right sweatshirt for you:
- Pick a sweatshirt in a sophisticated shade to avoid looking schlubby.
- Choose a sweatshirt that is streamlined through the sides, rather than bulky like a traditional sweatshirt.
- Keep any embellishments on the sweatshirt to a minimum. Just a touch is all you need.
- Pair a relaxed sweatshirt with something more fitted. Try wearing one of these luxe sweatshirts with skinny jeans or leather leggings for a more casual look, or dress up your sweatshirt with slim-cut pants or even a pencil skirt.
- Don’t tuck in your sweatshirt, even if it is more streamlined. It will only make you look bulky across the middle.
- If you are bottom heavy, stay away from a tight band at the bottom and go for a loose hem. You could even try wearing your relaxed wide necked sweatshirt slightly off kilter, to one side, to take the emphasis off the straight line right across your lower tummy.
- Counter the casual nature of a sweatshirt with some fab jewelry. A bold necklace, multiple bracelets/watch or a dangly pair of earrings are the perfect icing on the cake!
- Choose the right footwear. Sweatshirts are sporty, but no bulky running shoes, please. Ankle booties are the perfect medium between casual and dressy, making them a natural pairing to your sporty-glam sweatshirt! Dressy flats fit the bill, too, or even a low wedge can look nice if heels aren’t your thing.
- Finish off your outfit with a statement bag! Pick something big and tailored in a complimentary color to your outfit. A great tote works, so does an oversize clutch.
- Add a dash of lipstick, and you’re ready to go!
Shop more sweatshirts here:
The newest sweatshirts are the perfect mix of comfort and glam. This is a trend that looks and feels fab at any age.