If you’ve almost given up on capris because you think they make you look frumpy, there may be some truth to that. Capris have a bad reputation for a reason. They tend to shorten your legs (especially if you are short, to begin with), and they highlight wide or muscular calves.
However, there are ways to get around this. Finding the right style and fit of capris, crops, pedal pushers or whatever you want to call them for your body type can make a world of difference to how they will look on you. Here are a few Do’s and Don’ts to look great and feel confident in capri pants.
Do’s and Don’ts for Choosing Figure Flattering Capris
How to Wear Capris Pants – Length
Length is everything when it comes to looking good in capris. If your capris are a little too short or little too long, your legs can look stumpy, and your calves can look huge.
The challenge is to find a pair of capris that end at the thinnest part of your leg. This capris sweet spot is different for everyone, but it will always be somewhere just below or above the widest part of your calf. It’s tricky to find the perfect length, so you really do need to try on a lot of different capris in front of a mirror to see what looks best.
- If you have very chunky or muscular calves DO think about wearing cropped pants that cover your calves and end just above the ankle instead of capris. In your case they are more flattering.
- If you have regular sized calves, DO wear capris that end just below the muscular part of your calf, where your shin starts to indent – somewhere between your calf and the ankle, is best. This is the narrowest part of your lower leg; the part you want to emphasize.
- If your leg narrows in a little just below the knee, DO feel free to wear pedal pushers ( knee length capris), which are a very popular style this year. They will look good on you.
- Skinny calves? DO wear them at the widest part of your calf to make your calves look wider.
- Capri pant with wide leg openings accentuate the break line of your silhouette, and can make you look shorter and wider, so DON’T rush to wear these if you are short or heavy.
- DO wear capris with a tapered or straight leg to create the longest and sleekest look on everyone.
- If your legs are short, DO choose capris with a higher waist. The high waist will draw the eye up and make your legs appear longer. (Your top should skim the top of your capris to show off the high waist)
- Short Torso? DO balance it by choosing mid-rise capris which visually lower your waist.
- Carrying extra weight? DON’T wear capris with bulky details such as elastic waistbands, big cargo style side pockets, drawstrings, and wide cuffs. These all make you look heavy, and frumpy unless you are slim. Plain capris are slimming.
What to Wear with Capris – Tops
- Short Legs? DO stick to tops that skim the top of your capris to give you the illusion of extra leg length.
- DON’T be afraid to wear longer tops if you are average height or tall. Just make sure your capris are tapered. Capris or ankle length cropped pants look perfect under a flowy tunic or a short dress.
How to Wear Capris Pants – Color and Pattern
- DO wear all one color from top to bottom to look taller such as a black top and black capris -all black or black print..
- DON’T mix brightly colored capris with brightly colored tops and bright accessories. It’s too gawdy. Instead, mix colorful capris, ie: red, with a white button-down shirt and black sandals for a sophisticated look.
- DO choose neutral colored capris such as black, blue, gray, white and taupe and accent your capris with a colorful top, like a bright blue top with capris to look modern and fresh.
- DON’T wear capri pants with large patterns if you are petite, and don’t wear capris with small patterns if you are large or plus size. Keep things balanced.
- Flats can look great with capris, but DON’T wear flat shoes if you have short legs.
- DO wear a wedge or low heel to elongate your exposed calf. A cute summer sandal with either a heel or wedge is a great option. Or, if you need a more comfortable shoe, try a colorful kitten heel.
- DO try a nude colored shoe to make your legs look longer. A shoe that is the same color as your skin elongates. Second best choice? A shoe the same color as your capris will also helps.
The Capri pant makes a fabulous and comfortable summer option that can be versatile. (Denim capris are always popular too)Just be sure to think through your look to maintain a long leg and sleek silhouette.
Looking for the perfect pair of capris? Check these out
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.