I love maxi dresses! I remember wearing them in the 60’s and 70’s. My daughter always tells me, “If you wore the style the first time around, you shouldn’t wear it when it comes back.” And, the truth is, I don’t want one that shows all my cleavage or my arms.
I like dresses with lots of color and print. Have you seen some fun, maxi dresses with sleeves that work for women our age? Thanks, Nancy
I’m sure your daughter means well, but the reality is, there’s not much that’s is truly new and original in fashion. Looks get recycled. If we all followed your daughter’s “only once in a lifetime” rule, there’d be nothing for gals 40, 50 and beyond to wear.
Maxi dresses are back in style, but as usual, there are new fabrics, patterns and details that make them fresh and modern. You said you like color and you want a modest style, and these 3 above are lovely for summer.
Here’s the thing with maxi dresses that have long sleeves. If you are covered up all over in a heavy fabric and/or color, you are going to look dull, dowdy and old. There has to be something to a long-sleeved maxi that gives it life and youthfulness. That can be many things. For example:
All these dresses above including this mauve maxi are made from light, flowy chiffon which make them airy, feminine and pretty.
Another way to keep a long-sleeved maxi from looking heavy and dowdy is to choose one that has side slits to reveal a touch of leg. Here is a great example. You get the coverage you want with some peek-a-boo leg showing through when you walk.
Another way to keep from looking too bundled up is to choose a maxi with a pretty neckline. So even though your arms and legs are covered, your decolletage is revealed, giving you a more alluring look. These two dresses prove this point really well.
Off the Shoulder
This is another excellent way to give a carefree, pretty feel to a maxi dress with sleeves. What woman doesn’t have beautiful shoulders? An off the shoulder maxi with long sleeves is romantic and fairytale like.
The cold shoulder style is much like off the shoulder style, but you are a little more covered up. Cold shoulder maxi are flirty and fun and add a lot of personality to a long-sleeved maxi.
Short Flutter Sleeves
If you are covering your arms because you feel self-conscious, then it’s probably really only your upper arms you are concerned about. In this case, a short, relaxed flutter sleeve will camouflage your arms and lighten the look of a maxi dress that cover up everywhere else.
A Note about Shirtdress Style Maxis
Shirtdress maxis can be tricky because they are not fitted. My advice would be to watch the size when you buy. Shirtdresses have no waist and can lookboxy if you buy one that is too big. Be sure the sleeves aren’t too long and that you nip in your waist with a drawstring waist or belt, or else you will look like you are wearing a big bag or worse, curtains! Heels also help you get a long lean look.
Here are a few other Style Tips For Wearing Long Sleeve Maxi Dresses:
- A long-sleeved maxi in a solid, dark color will look more dressy than a light/bright summery print, so if you want to look festive and fun, choose a lively print or a dark solid with splashes of bright color.
- A little skin looks youthful. If you prefer to cover up your arms but still want to look sexy and youthful, then try a wrap dress style. This will show off your chest and make your neck look longer which equates to making you looking slimmer.
- Choose a long-sleeved maxi dress in a soft silhouette skimming fabric that follows your curves. A long-sleeved maxi in a crisp or stiff fabric will make you look bulky and dowdy.
- 3/4 length sleeves give you the coverage you want on upper arms that jiggle and 3/4 are a sportier, sexier look than a full-length sleeve.
- Make sure you get the right size. With so much coverage, you don’t want to be drowning in fabric, especially if you’re short or petite.
These kind of dresses are great for covering your arms, and they also do the trick if you prefer to hide your legs in summer. A very lovely, sophisticated solution!
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.