If you been to a wedding lately, there’s a good chance the mother of the bride (or groom) was wearing blue. In particular, navy blue mother of the bride dresses have been very popular lately. Just take a look at these photos my readers sent in. All these MOB and Grooms chose navy blue and for a good reason.
Navy is a perfect choice because:
- Navy is Classy – Navy is a regal color that communicates formality, authority respect – just what the mother of the bride and groom deserve
- Navy is Simming – Most women think black is the only slimming color but navy is just as slimming
- Navy is Flattering on Women with mature skin – Black can be harsh alongside an aging complexion that has wrinkles, lines, and spots. Navy is warmer, softer and more lively. It gives you life.
- Navy co-ordinates well with most bridal party colors – Navy can be worn year round and looks as lovely with other dark shades like burgundy, green and plum as it does with light, bright colors like pink and yellow.
- Navy is timeless– Navy is and will always be a beautiful color for any formal event. You will never look dated in those wedding photos years down the road when you are wearing navy. It’s a classic.
1. LOVELY IN LACE: For her daughter’s wedding, Tami wore this Kay Unger streamlined column gown. Intricate sequined embellishment gives the dress a subtle sparkle that pairs beautifully with the delicate lace. Tami’s pretty updo allows this dress’ lace neckline to be the focal point.
2. SHORT AND CHIC: Sarah who hails from Ottawa, Canada wore this fitted, sleeveless v-neck sheath dress with a hint of shimmer. The flattering cut of the dress and the geometric lines create a striking silhouette on Sarah.
3. TIMELESS ELEGANCE: Jan looks stunning in a floor-length navy lace dress for her youngest son’s wedding which was held in October in Aptos, CA. Jan’s daughter-n-law to be requested that she wear navy, and Jan happily obliged when she fell in love with this dress. Wow! Jan, this dress looks like it was custom-made for you!
4. SWEETHEART NECKLINE: It’s obvious why navy and lace is such a popular combination for mother of the bride dresses. It’s universally flattering. For her daughter’s outdoor wedding, Kathy wore along, navy dress, fitted at the waist and a lace neckline. Kathy looked simply beautiful alongside her beautiful daughter.
5. SOPHISTICATED ONE SHOULDER: When in doubt, show off your shoulders! That’s exactly what Tammy chose to do when her son and daughter-in-law planned a barn wedding in Vermont. She chose this fabulous Ralph Lauren one-shoulder maxi dress in navy. Tammy loved the dress not only for its understated elegance, but for its comfort too.
6. WRAPPED IN STYLE: For her daughter’s wedding two years ago, Mindy hit the jackpot when she found this sleeveless wrap style dress at a local department store. A statement necklace like the one Mindy is wearing is the perfect accessory for a wide V-neck dress and strikes a nice balance to this simple yet polished dress.
Shop these stunning navy MOB dresses:
I’m not a Mother of the Bride or Groom yet, My kids are all under 21 still but I recently collaborated with Davi’s Bridal to pick out a dress I would wear if my son or daughter was getting married, and guess what, it was Navy! Take a look! More photos of my Navy MOB gown here.
NEED MORE IDEAS?
Need more ideas about what to wear as Mother of the Bride or Groom. Pick up a copy of my bestselling book Tweak Your Chic – Mother of the Bride. It will tell you everything you need to know on one of the most important and cherished days of your life.