Are you a tunic gal? If you like comfy and casual with a laid back feel, then this may be the perfect top for you. Tunics date back to Ancient Greece, and epitomize the bohemian glamour of the 60′ and 70′s.
Today they’re popular as ever due in part to designers like Tory Burch, who has made tunics a key silhouette of her signature style.
Not all tunics are created equal. Some are baggy and can make you look frumpy, so here’s a guide to how to find one that is right for your body type.
Pear Shape – You have a small waist but you are wide on the bottom. Choose a tunic that:
- is more A-line than straight up and down
- falls below you widest area, not right at it so as not to emphasize your weight
- has some embellishment up at the neckline to draw the eye up
- has side vents so your tunic does not cling
Apple Shape - You have a large tummy and chest, but great legs. Choose a tunic that:
- does not cling
- is not big and billowy
- has an open v-neck top to show some skin and reduce top-heaviness
- if possible has vertical lines to lengthen you out
Hourglass - Your hips and bust are about equal and you have a small defined waist If you are very curvy this look might not be for you because it hides your cute figure. Sometimes you can find a more fitted tunic that nips in a bit at the waist that can work or you may want to belt your tunic.
Inverted Triangle – Your shoulders are wider that your hips. Choose a tunic that:
- does not have a lot of detail or embellishment up top near the neckline or shoulders that would make you look wider
- has an open neckline to break up your wide shoulders
- does not have horizontal lines- they will make yo look wider
Petite – The shorter you are, the shorter the tunic should be. Ideally it should hit at the hip. If you are taller it can hit below the hip and as low as mid-thigh. Once you have the right shape, what do you wear a tunic with?
Rectangle- Your bust waist and hips are about the same. Tunics were made for you! Have fun.
What style of pants should you wear with a tunic?
Stay away from baggy or wide pants or you will look wide and frumpy. Tunics look best worn with skinny jeans ( white is always nice in summer) or bootcut pants with a bit of a flare.
What Shoes should you wear with a tunic?
If you are wearing pants with your tunic then shoes with some height- a wedge, or sandal with a heel will help make you look longer and leaner and balance out the wider shape up top. With skinny pants or the tunic alone if it is long enough you can wear flat sandals.
Would you wear a tunic? Comment below.