Look Very Closely.
Yes, those are photos from the Huffington Post of first lady Michelle Obama in over the knee boots. If you have been in limbo wondering if these trendy new boots were really appropriate for a woman in her 40’s 50’s and beyond, here’s your answer.
What do you think?……………….
Personally, I love this look. It’s a rich, classy outfit and the tall suede Jimmy Choo over- the- knee boots add an elegant, sexy edge.
The only thing I was a little surprised about is that Michelle wore these boots to church. Now that’s a little edgier than most might feel comfortable in, but to each’s own. I’m o.k with it now I’ve taken a second look. I think Michelle looks Fabulous.
What makes these over the knee boots work at her age?
There’s no doubt that over the knee boots are a youthful, sexy look, and it’s tricky to the pull off without looking like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Michelle looks great because she has followed these unwritten rules. Keep these things in mind:
- You need to be on the slim side with nice legs and thighs to wear this look.
- You have to be careful to pair your boots with a classy, good quality outfit that has some weight to it to ground the boots- Michelle is wearing a purple suede Azzedine Ali dress and jacket. A heavy knit would work well too.
- Don’t wear these boots with anything too tight or revealing. Michelle is quite covered up which keeps it classy.
- You have to make sure if you wear a skirt it is long enough to almost hit the top of the boot. A mini would look sleazy.
- Keep the heel low. This tones down the racy over- the -knee look.
- Keep the style of the boot elegant. It needs to be clean and simple. This boot looks has no buckles, bling, laces or tacky hardware and looks more like an elegant evening glove.
- Stay away from shiny black over-the-knee boots. These matte suede ones look rich, not rude.
- Wear opaque hose so there’s no leg between the hem of your dress and boot.
- Stay away from patent or shiny thigh high boots, or you’ll look like a hooker.
Bottom line: Are you trying look fashion forward? b)pick up a younger guy? or c) trying to channel your inner biker chic? Take a look at what you are wearing with your over the knee boots and if you look like b) or c) change your outfit.
You need some confidence and a good dose of style to pull off this look once you are over 40 too so if you are not sure, stay away.
Are you thinking of trying this look out this fall? If so, comment below!