We spend so much time searching for that perfect cocktail dress for a holiday party, but when the big night comes, what do you wear when you need a little extra coverage to keep you warm or discreetly camouflage arm-jiggle? Let’s hope it’s not that boring workday cardigan you grabbed last-minute out of the front hall closet or, worse, your husband’s borrowed suit jacket!
Here are some suggestions for chic evening wraps to wear with cocktail dresses and some tips on choosing the perfect wrap for any holiday party outfit. (NOTE: If you are looking for spring and summer wraps, check here)
Choosing The Perfect Wrap
When it comes to wraps, there’s something for everybody. Choosing the right wrap depends on many things, including
- The formality of the event The more formal the event, the more luxe the fabric. Choose silk, chiffon, velvet, or fur.
- Season – Wraps are often wider and heavier in the fall and winter than spring and summer. Lighter-colored wraps look best in summer, and darker colors are nice in the fall. Black and white are always in style. Metallics are year-round.
- Style of the Dress – Sleeveless, off-the-shoulder styles and dresses with deep necklines look better with wraps than dresses with full sleeves or high necklines.
- Your Personality – Glam gals mostly go for wraps with patterns, embellishment, fringe, or shine. Classic dressers may prefer solid colors and traditional, low-key styles like cashmere pashminas or chiffon dusters. Dramatic types might enjoy a cape style. Edgy dressers might even wear a glitzy cocktail dress with a leather moto jacket!
- Your size– Large wraps can swallow up Petites. Giant prints can be overwhelming too. Keep scale in mind when choosing the right size of evening cover-up to go with your cocktail dress.
Here are 3 styles of wraps that pair perfectly with fall’s most beautiful cocktail dresses.
Every gal needs a little glamour in her life, and this blush-colored faux-fur wrap delivers and then some. (Read the rave reviews online.) One of the things I like about this piece is that even though it’s a perfect accompaniment to an off-the-shoulder cocktail dress like this one, it’s anything but a one-hit-wonder. You can wear this as a scarf with a sweater, t-shirt, jacket or coat. It’s a stand-out accessory that elevates your look no matter what you pair it with.
A sheep wrap lets you go sleeveless without being cold. This one is luxurious and elegant, giving you a little extra coverage without covering up or detracting from your dress. The satin edge adds an extra touch of elegance. This wrap comes in several colors and would be a perfect pairing for a sleeveless dress for any dressy occasion. Read the reviews online – people who have bought it love it.
Metallic Lightweight Wrap
This airy metallic wrap provides just a hint of sparkle without going overboard. It’s also a good length, so you have lots of different ways to tie it. The thing I love about this wrap is its versatility. Not only is it perfect for dressier occasions like a holiday party or wedding, but it would also be a great lightweight piece to pack for evenings on a resort vacation or a cruise. Or wear it scarf-style over a coat. Like the other wraps I’ve shown here, this one gets fantastic reviews online.
Shop more evening wraps here:
What do you wear to cover up at your holiday parties?