A shirtdress can seem plain and shapeless on the hanger, but it’s really a chic and versatile thing to have in your closet. It’s very feminine if you leave a button or two strategically undone, and when you wear it with a belt or tie waist, it creates a feminine, figure-flattering silhouette.
Here are 12 tips to keep in mind when styling this popular classic.
1. A well-fitting shirtdress means no pulling across the chest or buttons that pop.
3. If your shirtdress is too short to wear it as a dress, wear it as a tunic shirt with leggings.
4. Collarless shirtdresses are a softer take on the look (perfect for more feminine styles).
5. Many shirtdresses are on the short side, which is why they look good with flats, including flat sandals and even statement sneakers for a casual look.
6. Balance out the masculine vibe of a shirtdress by wearing pretty jewelry, a beautiful bag, and some sexy sandals or feminine shoes.
7. If your shirtdress has sleeves, roll them up for a sportier vibe.
8. The self-belt that often comes with a shirtdress can make it more interesting and figure flattering. Try a leather, chain, or rope belt to add some style.
9. Use your shirtdress as a layering piece, wearing it partly open to reveal a camisole underneath, or all the way open like a long jacket.
10. Cotton shirtdresses offer a sporty-casual look, while shirtdresses made from sateen or a silky, flowing fabric can be quite elegant. This is especially true of wrap style shirt dresses.
11. If you have a defined waist, choose a shirtdress with a slight taper at the waist, or you can look boxy. A drawstring waistline will give you some shape too.
12. Try wearing a jacket or long boyfriend sweater over a shirtdress. Add some classy jewelry and fabulous shoes for a casual work look.
What do you think? Are you ready to give a shirtdress a go?
Did you like this Post?
This post contains revenue generating affiliate links which helps support my business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for shopping via my links.