A shirtdress can seem plain and shapeless on the hanger, but in reality, it’s a chic and versatile thing to have in your closet. It is ultra-feminine if you leave a button or two strategically undone and one with a belt or tie waist creates a feminine, figure-flattering silhouette.
Here are 12 terrific tips to keep in mind when styling this popular classic.
1. A well-fitting shirtdress means no pulling across the chest or buttons that pop.
2. Many shirtdresses are on the short side, which is why they look good with flats.
3. Changing the self-belt that often comes with a shirtdress can make it more interesting and figure flattering. Try a leather, chain or rope belt to add some style.
4. Choose a shirtdress with a slightly A-line or flared bottom if you are pear-shaped.
5. If a shirtdress is too short to wear it as a dress, just wear it with leggings.
6. Collarless shirtdresses are a softer take on the look (perfect for more feminine styles).
7. Balance out the masculine vibe of a shirtdress with jewelry, or play it up with an elegant chain strap bag and feminine accessories.
8. Use your shirtdress as a layering piece, wearing it partly open to reveal a camisole underneath, or all the way open like a long jacket.
9. If your shirtdress has sleeves, roll them up for a sportier vibe.
10. Try wearing a jacket or long boyfriend sweater over a shirtdress. Add some classy jewelry and fabulous shoes for a casual work look.
11. If you have a defined waist, choose a shirtdress with a slight taper at the waist, or you can look boxy. A drawstring waistline will give you some shape too.
12. Cotton shirtdresses offer a sporty/casual look, while shirtdresses made from silky, flowing fabrics give a more elegant or artsy look.
What do you think? Are you ready to give a shirtdress a go?
Click the links below to take you directly to the stores to buy.