I am 5’4,” and I weigh 125 pounds. I wear about a size 6. I am pretty satisfied with my body except that I have very, very unattractive legs. They have a few scars from childhood. I am slightly knock-kneed, they are not shapely at all, and they are pale.
I’ve accepted this flawed part of my body, tried self-tanners, and done the best I can to focus on the good parts. However, I do like to wear dresses and skirts when I am brave enough. I struggle to wear dresses that do not accentuate my legs and find hoses that are not hot in the summer.
Do you have any suggestions on dress styles, hose, and even shoe combinations with the dresses and hose? I’m sick of wearing pants all the time. Thank you, Cleo.
You are probably much harder on yourself than anyone else would ever be, but I understand you feel self-conscious.
When you want to cover pale or scarred legs in summer, you are right – stockings can be hot. However, it is usually around the stomach and hips where stockings make you feel sweaty, so why not try some thigh highs? This way, you can still feel cool under your dress. Just make sure you match them as closely as possible to your skin color, so they look most natural and not like you have a fake suntan!
Other things you can do to take the focus off your legs:
- Make sure your skirt covers your kneecaps if your knees are unattractive.
- If you have knock knees, wear a skirt that is soft and floaty.
- Wear ultra sheer nude hose with nude (flesh-toned) shoes to create a long, lean line and make your legs appear better. In winter, try wearing opaque black tights with black shoes or boots.
- Avoid skirts with a lot of pattern and detail, especially skirts with detail at the hemline. Put the color, pattern, detail, or embellishment near your face to draw the eye up.
- Wear medium to high heels to elongate your legs. A lower vamp also elongates your leg, as do pointy vs. round or square-toed shoes.
- Avoid ankle straps that cut you off at the ankle and make your legs look shorter.
- Midi skirts and maxi dresses also work really well.
Best of luck trying these things, and remember that no one will notice your legs if you put all the emphasis up top. Make sure your hair and makeup are always fresh and touched up, and SMILE. Everyone will be looking at your pretty face and not your legs.