Sometimes all you need to freshen up your wardrobe is a few pieces to mix and match. Have you ever heard of a wardrobe capsule?
That’s a collection of a few garments that can be put together in many ways to create lots of outfits.
Capsules reinvent your wardrobe. They make it easy to dress because:
- Everything goes with everything, so it takes no time to pull an outfit together
- They save you money. You don’t buy something once and never wear it again.
You can have several capsules in your wardrobe. For example, one for casual wear, one for work, one for an evening out, etc. This one is for work. Take a look at the pieces from L.K. Bennett.
Each of these pieces works with one another, and there is nothing that does not match. You can wear the:
1) Navy Pants + Print Top
2) Navy Pants + Red Sweater
3) Navy Pants + Pink Top
4) Floral Skirt + Print Top
5) Floral Skirt + Red Sweater
6) Floral Skirt + Pink Top
7) Floral Skirt + Floral Top
8) Navy Pants + Navy Jacket + Pink Top
9) Navy Pants + Pink Top + Red Sweater
10) Navy Pants + Floral Top + Navy Jacket
11) Navy Pants + Floral Top + Red Sweater
12) Floral Skirt + Navy Jacket + Pink Top
13) Floral Skirt + Pink Top + Red Sweater
14) Floral Skirt + Floral Top + Navy Jacket
15) Floral Skirt + Floral Top + Red Sweater
Ready to Give it a try?
Here are some basic guidelines for creating capsules:
• Begin your capsule with quality basics like a jacket, pants, or skirt
• Choose three colors and work around them
• Solid color items mix easier than patterned ones
• A few prints can link solids
• Stay away from trendy items or items with too much embellishment that may go out of style next year
• Aim for items in year-round fabrics as they will give you the most use out of your clothes
• No two capsule items should be the same style, i.e., two pencil skirts
• Don’t worry about everything matching or going with everything else. Each piece need only work with three others
• Avoid including items that are too trendy or too stand-alone
Remember, the more classic the style, the more easily mixable it will be. Fussy or busy types will require that the item be worn with only a particular skirt or a specific jacket, and what we’re looking for is versatility!
Have Fun! For more ideas on saving money and looking stylish, pick up a copy of Chic On the Cheap.
This is a helpful eBook I have written about how to look Chic on a Budget. It’s full of great money-saving ideas and lots of good wardrobe dressing examples, so pick up a copy!