When you’re out doing errands you want to feel ship-shape about what you have on. It’s no fun getting that sinking feeling when you run into an old friend and feel that you’re looking frumpy. It’s happened to all of us!
Looking great when you fly out the door does not have to be complicated. With just a few of the right pieces you can update your casual look in a jiffy.
Here are a few tips on how to go about choosing what to wear if you’re over 40 and going out to the grocery store or running errands:
1) Start with a striped t-shirt. As we transition into fall this can mean a 3/4 or even long sleeved cotton top.
2) Your top should be fitted, not baggy. Find a top that has some stretch in the fabric so it will skim your body.
3) Find a stripe that fits your personality. These tops come in a variety of colors, like red, yellow or navy and white or cream. Depending on what looks best with your skin tone be aware that those with cool skin tones look best with a stripe of white and those with warm tones look better with stripes of cream.
4) Bag the blue jeans. Why not step it up a notch and instead of plain old blue jeans go with a cream or white flat front pant? Just the color alone will class up your look.
5) Change out your regular purse for a lightweight tote. This cream tote really keeps the look feeling clean and elegant but still casual. The blue piping echoes the blue stipe shirt and pulls this look together.
6) Try a crazy pop color with this adorable yet comfy flat. These tangerine loafers are the updated version of a ballet flat and can actually give you a little more support. If you are not daring enough to try a colorful pair you could easily try a neutral color of brown or navy.
7) Keep the accessories minimal. You don’t need much but a casual, long chain with a simple bauble adds a little shine and polish to the outfit.
Please comment below and let us know what your favorite casual outfit is. Are you going to be shopping for a new one this fall? I’d love to hear from you!
You'll receive my fashion & beauty tips for women 40, 50, 60+ to help you look fabulous, feel confident, and turn heads! Subscribe now to discover the secrets to dressing modern, classy, and effortlessly chic at any age.