If you’re about to give up on capris because you think they make you look frumpy, there may be some truth to that. Capris have a terrible reputation for a reason. They interrupt the length of your silhouette, and can make your legs look stubby. (If you are short to begin with, the effect is multiplied.)
Shop this outfit by clicking links below:
Having said that, I don’t suggest you abandon this cool summer alternative just yet. Capris can look slimming, modern and chic. It’s all about finding ones that flatter your figure and pairing them with the right things. Here are some tips on how to look fabulous and feel confident in capri pants.
Do’s and Don’ts for Choosing Figure Flattering Capris
Getting the proper style and fit can make a world of difference to how capris will look on you.
- Don’t wear capris that end at mid-calf (the widest part of your lower leg). This is highly unflattering particularly if you have thick or muscular calves.
- Do wear capris that end just below that, where your shin starts to indent – between your calf and the ankle, is best. This is the narrowest part of your lower leg; the part you want to emphasize.
- *(This perfect length will vary depending on the woman, so it’s worth it to take your pants to the tailor and get an expert opinion before you hem)
- Don’t wear wide leg capris because they will accentuate the break line of your silhouette and make you look stubby.
- Do wear capris with a tapered or straight leg to create the longest and sleekest look.
- Do choose capris with a higher waist if you have short legs. The high waist will draw the eye up and make your legs appear longer.
- Do balance a short torso by choosing mid-rise capris which visually lower your waist.
- Don’t wear capris with bulky details such as elastic waistbands, big side pocket drawstrings, and large cuffs These all make you look frumpy unless you are very slim. (Heavy cargo capris with lots of detail add pounds)
DO’s and Don’ts for What To Wear With Capris
SHOES ( very important when wearing capris)
- Don’t wear flat shoes if you have short legs, or you will look stumpy.
- Do wear a heel or wedge to elongate your exposed calf. A cute summer sandal with either a heel or wedge is a great option. Or, if you need a more comfortable shoe, try a colorful kitten heel.
- Do try a nude colored shoe. A shoe the same color as your skin will make your legs look longer.
- Do stick to tops that skim the top of your capris if you are short, to give you the illusion of extra leg.
- Don’t be afraid to wear longer tops if you are average height or tall. Just make sure your capris are tapered. Capris or ankle length cropped pants looks perfect under a flowy tunic or a short dress.
COLOR AND PATTERN
- Do choose neutral colored capris such as black, navy gray, white and taupe and accent with pops of vivid color, like a bright pink top to look modern and fresh.
- Do be careful about combining bright pants with bright tops and bright accessories, as you run the risk of looking too loud. Instead, mix bright red capris with a white button-down and classic black pumps for an eye-popping, classy look.
- Don’t wear capri pants with large patterns if you are petite and don’t wear capris with small patterns if you are large or plus size. Keep things balanced.
DO give capri pants a try this summer!
The Capri pant makes a fabulous and comfortable summer option that can be versatile. Just be sure to think through your look to maintain a long leg and sleek silhouette.