So many of you have written and asked that age old question, “Can I still wear long hair when I am over 40?”, that I thought we should chat about it.
My take on long hair: I’m not against ladies wearing long hair, but I don’t think I can just make it a blanket statement. Here are some guidelines I’d suggest:
- You have super healthy hair
- You have the right face shape for long hair (oval or long)
- You keep it trimmed up regularly and don’t let it go too long
Long hair is “iffy” when:
- You hair is too thin
- You wear it with those “puffy” bangs or “wings”
- You wear it down to your waist
- You end up wearing up in a bun all the time or using clips to hold it back.
- If you have super thick hair, beware it can really drag your face down and be aging if you wear it too long! (but don’t cut too short either)
Here is one of my readers, Julie Srhir (age 51). She is an excellent example of someone who is wearing long hair and rocking it!!
One more note…
Long hair is a very “romantic”, soft look. If you are working in a corporate environment or one that is very competitive, you might consider a shorter style or keeping it pulled back for those times when you want to look more professional. Check out some of these makeovers on long hair.
Too see more examples of great hair ideas, check out Christopher Hopkins book, Staging Your Comeback!
If you have a question about your long hair, send us your photo or comment below!