I purchased an adorable Elizabeth and James linen blazer (called the James linen distressed blazer ~Nordstroms) It has a three-quarter length sleeve and hits right below my bottom. It fits perfectly, and it was a great deal. My question is, the fabric has been made to look like it’s two-tone…what they are calling “distressed”. Is it too much for a 45- year-old to wear if the rest of the outfit is simple? Thanks, Robin
Distressed is a very sporty look and some of us Glam Gals don’t feel so comfy in something so crumpled. But if you like the look of casual,cool and very relaxed then I think your jacket is definitely age appropriate and a great purchase! It will be a wonderful “go to” piece in your wardrobe and one you will get much use out of, especially on weekends.Here are a few ideas on how you might wear it.
Your jacket seems popular with the younger celebrities… no surprise since your Elizabeth and James piece was designed by the Olsen Twins. However, that does not matter because the style of the jacket is more classic than trendy, it well made and is a wonderful piece to dress up or down.
Here are a few different ways to wear your jacket, and how you might “tweak” it to make it look fab at any age.
|Belted on the outside-How sporty is this! Cameron Diaz has put a simple black dress or black top and black tight mini underneath it.|
- Make sure if you wear it like this the skirt is longer. (right above the knee)
- Wear a medium width, not skinny belt.
- Heavier, chunkier sandals with some weight anchor this look. Simple black pumps would have looked dated.
Over a formal dress
Dakota Fanning has gone with a more romantic look wearing the jacket with a flowing dress with lace.
- If you have youthful legs you could pull this off. If not, it would still work nicely if the dress was just a bit longer.
- I love this strappy nude shoe with this. This shoe is sligtly edgy and makes this outfit not so cutesy.
Paired with soft pants,your outfit will be super comfortable, but still dressy! You can also do some soft flowing pants that are a similar shade as your jacket with a simple top.
- Make sure to keep the top untucked.
- The top is banded at the bottom to keep the look a little sleeker.
- Nude kitten heel pumps are a comfortable alternative to high strappy heels.
- You could wear this to work, out to dinner or to the theater.
As you mentioned, you can go simple with a fitted tank top and straight legged pants or jeans.
- Once again make sure to keep the top untucked.
- Would like to see a pretty necklace with this look.
- For shoes you could go with simple black flats or black chunky heels.